Humane societies see surge in pets

Animal shelters are increasingly overcrowded due to tough economic times. Photo by Amanda Frank/ [email protected]

In these tough economic times, many people nationwide have been forced to make sacrifices, including giving up a beloved family pet.

In many cases, pet owners turn over their dogs and cats to animal shelters because they cannot afford to keep them. But these shelters are suffering as well according to Inga Fricke, director of sheltering and pet care issues at the Humane Society of the United States.

“An animal shelter is definitely a reflection of the community,” Fricke said. “Like people in the community, animal shelters tend to see diminished resources or budget cuts.”

Gayle Viney, public relations coordinator at the Dane County Humane Society in Madison, said a recent surge in cats entering the shelter has caused it to quickly near its maximum capacity.

“The economy is also putting a new slant on why people are giving up their pets,” Viney said. “It used to be because they’re moving and can’t keep the pet, they don’t have time for it, they have allergies or are having a baby — but now we really are seeing a trend toward people surrendering their animals because they lost a job, lost their home or can’t afford them.”

Fricke said even in good economic times, it can be difficult to get people to adopt pets from animal shelters. She estimated only about 20 percent of animals in households nationwide come from animal shelters.

Shelters nationwide have taken steps to try to avoid overcrowding by participating in rescue transfers, in which one shelter sends animals to another that specializes in a particular breed or market. Some, like the DCHS, offer price breaks and special events to encourage adoption. Often as a last resort, some shelters must euthanize some animals to allow them to adequately care for others, Fricke said.

She said an estimated 6 to 8 million animals are sheltered each year, with 3 to 4 million euthanized.

A poor economy tends to slow down pet adoption rates while increasing those of pet surrender, Fricke said, and there seems to be a connection between the current economy and higher rates of pet surrender.

“We have seen a correlation between the economy and people giving up their pets,” she said. “But you can’t make blanket statements for all animal shelters. It really depends on the state of the community.”

Angela Speed, director of development and community relations at the Wisconsin Humane Society, said the center–located on Wisconsin Avenue in Milwaukee–has not experienced the same level of overcrowding or loss of resources as other shelters.

“We saw a slight peak of surrenders in 2009 due to economic reasons like evictions and foreclosures, but adoptions were correspondingly up, too,” she said. “Since 2000, we have overall seen a 28 percent increase in surrenders. However, we have seen a 55 percent increase in adoptions during that same time period.”

Speed added that the shelter has a very high number of cats, but the number of dog surrenders are normal at this time.

Fricke said it is understandable that animal shelters remain fairly stable in communities that are limping along, but managing.

“It is encouraging to hear that some animal shelters in Wisconsin are not experiencing overcrowding,” she said.

James Pokrywczynski, associate professor of advertising at Marquette, echoed these sentiments. He has twice adopted a dog from the Wisconsin Humane Society, most recently in 1998, when he and his wife adopted a Dalmatian they named Luna.

“We wanted to give a dog another chance through adoption,” Pokrywczynski said.

Should the Wisconsin Humane Society begin to see overcrowding in its shelter, he said he would not be concerned.

“There will just be more dogs there for my wife and I to adopt!” Pokrywczynski said.