MU student expresses musical dreams as indie band drummer

While band names can seem random, choosing a name is the first step that sets artists apart from each other. What musicians choose to call themselves creates their identity.

Chris Morales (left) and Tom Shears strive for a sound that stands out. Photo courtesy of Chis Morales.

For Chris Morales, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, establishing a name for his band was the final step in bringing his musical vision to life.

Morales’ band, The Living Statues, is a duo he created with his high school friend, Tom Shears, a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The two played together in a band in high school but created the duo in 2008. Last summer, the two called themselves simply by their first names — Tom and Chris — but they were looking to develop something further.

“We always liked statues. They’re these monuments that stand as a testament to a city or a group of people,” Morales said. “How cool would it be for them to come to life?”

Morales said the name came naturally, but the band is still developing its sound. He describes The Living Statues as rock ‘n’ roll first and foremost, with an indie rock and pop twist. Ultimately, the duo hopes to create a sound which stands out in the music scene.

“Imagine the White Stripes spilled their drinks on the Strokes and then got into a scuffle with Kings of Leon. That sounds like us,” Morales said.

The duo released their EP “Bad News,” on their website, longlivethestatues.com, on Oct. 8. The EP’s single, “Red Shoes,” has modern lyrics but an older, upbeat electric sound. Reminiscent of Jet’s “Are You Gonna Be My Girl?” the song’s mood is hopeful and fun.

The Living Statues is still perfecting its style. Morales said certain songs are geared more towards particular avenues.

“While one song may sound like the Strokes, another song may be more like the Killers meets Bruce Springsteen,” Morales said. “We’re setting the field and finding our niche.”

While Shears dons a guitar and sings lead vocals, Morales plays the drums, guitar and also provides backup vocals. Their songs can be based off of Morales’ or Shears’ individual thoughts or ideas, but they always work together to co-write each piece.

“Though we are a duo, we make a lot of noise for two guys,” Morales said.

On Saturday, Dec. 3, The Living Statues will open for the band Walk the Moon at Bay View’s Club Garibaldi, 2501 S. Superior St. Walk the Moon has toured with Weezer and Panic! At The Disco.

“It’ll give us exposure to a different crowd, by meeting bands and talking to them,” Morales said.

The venue is not just a local music scene but also showcases nationally recognized bands like Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros.

Morales emphasized the importance of cultivating a music scene on Marquette’s campus, where original “garage-bands” are absent.

“We live in such a diverse city. Marquette does a good job in promoting artistic diversity. We have that connection to MIAD (Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design), and people utilize that avenue, but it still needs to develop,” Morales said. “It’s important as a student body to generate artistic people.”

While Morales appreciates the arts, he will graduate spring semester with a science degree. He may be a biology major who works as a lab assistant, but that does not mean he’s not serious about pursuing music.

“People have asked me, ‘What are you going to do with that biology degree?’ I’m not sure, and I think that’s okay,” Morales said.

Morales is considering living with Shears post-graduation, possibly teaching or getting a job in a medical laboratory and taking the band from there.

“We will get respective jobs, pursue music on the weekends and see where it takes us,” Morales said. “You don’t put all this work into a band unless you want to take it seriously.”