ELMS: It’s about time I listened to St. Vincent

This week I decided to do something I’ve never done: attend a concert of an artist I’ve never listened to before.

Live music is one of my favorite things in this world, and I’m always down to check out new bands or musicians. That being said, I usually don’t go see an artist live until I’ve really familiarized myself with their music.

This week was different. Annie Clark, the brilliant mind behind musical outfit St. Vincent, was in town. I’d heard so much about her and her music, but for some reason had never made the effort to download any (or all) of her three albums and take a listen for myself. Curiosity got the best of me, and I decided to see her show at the Pabst Theater Monday night.

Now that I know what I’ve been missing, I don’t know how I’ve gone so long without it.

Clark, 29, grew up in Dallas, Texas and attended Berklee College of Music in Boston, Mass., the largest independent college of contemporary music in the world. She was no novice to the music scene when she began performing solo. Clark was a member of the Polyphonic Spree and also part of Sufjan Stevens’ touring band before St. Vincent was established.

In 2007, Clark released her debut album “Marry Me,” garnering positive feedback from influential critics like Pitchfork. In 2008, she was nominated for three PLUG Independent Music Awards for the album: New Artist of the Year, Female Artist of the Year and Music Video of the Year. She took home the award for Female Artist of the Year and has continued to hone her talents and grow in popularity.

Clark released her second album, “Actor,” in 2009, which peaked at no. 9 on Billboard’s Independent Albums Chart. Her third album, “Strange Mercy,” came out just last month. I haven’t read or heard anything negative about it yet, and I don’t expect to.

Monday’s concert was a hell of a show. Clark and her band took the stage in utter darkness and launched into “Cruel” off her new album as soon as the lights went up. I was immediately captivated.

Clark’s voice is powerful yet soft and has impressive range, and the emotion with which she performs is gripping. Not only are her vocals beautiful, but she puts many other indie-pop guitarists to shame. Clark plays quick and intricate riffs with such style and ease, often distorting her instrument for a darker sound. Her backup band is essential to St. Vincent’s sound, but it is clear the real talent lies with Clark.

Strong instrumentals paired with personal lyrics made the show even more compelling. Each song felt like Clark was giving you a glimpse into her own life.

Her stage presence was also wonderful. She didn’t talk too much, but just enough to let the crowd feel connected with her. About midway through the show, Clark made a comment about “Arrested Development” returning to TV and possibly hitting the big screen, which was met by substantial excitement from the crowd. “I feel oddly bonded to you guys now,” Clark said smiling. “But really oddly.”

Each song of her set felt more powerful than the last. I often gauge concerts by their momentum, and St. Vincent’s just kept building and building.

St. Vincent is currently on tour promoting her third album, "Strange Mercy." Photo via St. Vincent.

“I’m feeling you guys tonight,” Clark said as she returned for her encore. “The Party” was the only song she sang without her guitar. It was truly a testament to her vocal talents and a beautiful performance. The crowd was at its best for the last encore song, “Your Lips are Red.” It seemingly captured the energy from the entire night and was the perfect song to end on.

I left the Pabst wondering how I lasted so long without listening to St. Vincent. I can’t get her music out of my head. Needless to say, I’m glad I gave her a shot – I’m going to have to do this more often.