GRESKA: Wisconsin sports’ success has been my demise

Andrei Greska

Green Bay Packers remain undefeated? Check.

Milwaukee Brewers hold serve in the playoffs? Check.

Wisconsin Badgers spank a top-10 opponent? Check.

This was the kind of weekend Wisconsin fans have dreamed of all their lives.

As an Illinois native and Chicago sports fanatic, this was the kind of weekend I have dreaded the past four years.

Living in Milwaukee has given me a great appreciation for the dairy state. I love its unassuming nature. I admire its hard-working people. Heck, I wouldn’t mind living here after graduation.

When it comes to sports, though, there’s no love lost.

How should I put this? I hate the Cheeseheads, I loathe the Brew Crew and I would rather root for malaria than Bucky Badger.

Every big victory for one of these three squads is like getting punched in the gut. To have them all win in important games within the span of two days: strap me to a table and water board me, why don’t you? It was pure torture.

Most Chicago natives I know have a soft spot for the Brewers, have resigned themselves to accept the Packers are on a whole different level than the Bears and even root for Wisconsin’s football team.

Not me. Four years amongst the natives has only increased my hostilities towards their respective clubs, and I could never exactly pin down as to why I felt this way.

As of late though, I’ve begun narrowing it down considerably. It all comes down to one little word: jealousy.

It’s that simple. The reason I have built up so much animosity towards Wisconsin’s teams is that I could only dream to have mine be as successful.

Take the Packers, for example.

They went from transitioning to a new Favre-less era to a potential dynasty in the blink of an eye. They have in Aaron Rodgers what every Bears fan dreams of: a quarterback that can actually throw the ball to the correct team. They have more competent wide receivers on the bench than the Bears have had in a decade. They have a ring.

On top of all the talent and success, Green Bay represents the epitome of what the Bears long to be: A fun-loving group of individuals that can run up scores and celebrate with silly belt moves in the end zone. Instead we are stuck rooting for an offense that hasn’t evolved since the invention of the forward pass. We long for exciting and instead we get Jay Cutler. Can you fault me for being jealous?

Then you got the Brewers.

Being a Chicago Cubs fan means expecting the worst and hoping for the average. The last few years have been nothing but painful. No playoffs, no excitement and no hope. The Milwaukee Brewers, on the other hand, are a scrappy bunch of misfits who decided to start winning over the summer and just haven’t stopped.

They have reached a point where I am surprised when they lose. I expect victories every night. There was always that hope, though, that they would choke in the playoffs, much like my beloved Cubbies did in 2008 and 2009.

Nope, they are well on their way to sweeping Arizona, and if I were the Philadelphia Phillies, I would be very scared of facing this ragtag bunch. I can see a World Series in Milwaukee’s future, and with the Cubs in a 103-year drought, can you blame me for being jealous?

As for the Badgers, there is no envy there. That’s just good old-fashioned hatred.

So enjoy it while you can Wisconsinites. The getting won’t always be this good. Until then I will sit here, silently wishing it was me doing the gloating.