‘Little Shop’ a bloody good musical

"Little Shop" cast members gather around the blood-thirsty Audrey II. Photo by Brittany McGrail/[email protected].

Fears of the dentist. Worries about giant flesh-eating monsters. Turning every situation into a song.

This is no regression back into childhood. It’s just “Little Shop of Horrors,” the season opener for Marquette’s Department of Performing Arts.

The musical originally earned acclaim in an off-Broadway production in 1982, was made into a movie in 1986 and later premiered on Broadway in 2003. Tonight, the show opens at the Helfaer Theatre.

“Little Shop” takes place on an urban Skid Row in 1960. Seymour Krelborn, played by Tim Braun, a senior in the College of Communication, works at a run-down flower shop and discovers a strange, exotic plant after a sudden eclipse of the sun. He names the Venus flytrap-like plant Audrey II, after Audrey, his love interest.

Trying to revive the wilting plant, Seymour accidentally pricks his finger on the thorns. Audrey II gulps down Seymour’s blood. The plant begins to thrive off blood and quickly grows to be large and vicious and finds its voice — literally.

“The plant in ‘Little Shop Of Horrors’ comes to life,” said Tyler Frost, a sophomore in the College of Communication and “Little Shop” ensemble member, in an email.

Audrey II is not an actor dressed up as a plant, but instead a puppet. John Albrecht, a senior in the College of Business Administration, maneuvers the plant’s body while within the giant prop, while Craig Fischer, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, remains offstage, acting as the plant’s voice.

Seymour eventually shows the plant to the public and instantly becomes famous. As Audrey II grows, Seymour approaches the original Audrey. He learns she is in a relationship with an abusive boyfriend, Orin Scrivello, a sadistic dentist who thrives on the pain and misfortune of others.

Although the dentist is troubled, assistant costume director Bridget Rzymski, a sophomore in the College of Communication, enjoys how Armando Ronconi, a freshman in the College of Communication, brings the dentist to life.

“The dentist is definitely a show stealer,” Rzymski said. “He may be sadistic and a little creepy, but that’s what makes him wonderful to watch.”

Wardrobe supervisor Shannon Twohy, a sophomore in the College of Communication, said she agrees.

“(Ronconi) may be a small freshman, but he has a big presence,” Twohy said.

Little does the dentist know, but Audrey begins a secret romance with Seymour. Allie Bonesho, a senior in the College of Communication, plays Audrey. She enjoys the dynamics of the romance between her character and Seymour.

"Little Shop" is the opening production for Marquette's Department of Performing Arts this year. Photo by Brittany McGrail/[email protected].

“Audrey used to have a stellar body and was a prostitute,” Bonesho said. “But she does not realize her sexual appeal. She does not realize she sends signals to Seymour.”

Even so, through tumultuous times, the two come together.

“My favorite part of the show is the song ‘Suddenly, Seymour.’ We let loose. It is a climactic moment in the show, revealing feelings to the audience and to each other,” Bonesho said.

While romance is part of the show, “Little Shop” is certainly not just a love story. The show has a dark sense of humor as well. And with a blood-thirsty plant, how could it not?

While Twohy describes the show’s music to be a satire of ’60s doo-wop, the show’s not always as upbeat as the music suggests.

Bonesho said that the musical’s underlying message about greed is a valuable lesson learned.

“Seymour and all of the characters want money, but in the end, it’s what gets the plant bigger,” Bonesho said. “Money can only get you so far in life.”

“Little Shop Of Horrors” runs through Oct. 9. at the Helfaer Theatre. Admission is $10 for students, $16 for alumni, seniors and Marquette employees and $20 for general adult admission. Wednesday, Oct. 6 is $6 for students and Thursday, Oct. 7 is two for $10 with an MUID. For more information, call the Helfaer box office at 414-288-7504.