Marquette Men’s Soccer: Nortey’s courage, persistence led him out of Ghana

Freshman midfielder James "C." Nortey transitioned from a goalkeeper growing up in Ghana to Marquette's leading goal scorer (3) in 2011. Photo by Elise Krivit/[email protected]

Editors note: This is the first part of a two part profile of men’s soccer player, freshman James “C.” Nortey and his journey from Ghana to Marquette.

James “C.” Nortey wasn’t supposed to make it to the United States.

He wasn’t supposed to attend Hotchkiss School in Connecticut.

He wasn’t supposed to be involved with the Right to Dream Academy in Accra, Ghana, where he was born and raised.

But James “C.” Nortey has. Thanks to his persistence, dedication and courage, he has made the impossible reality.

After his first tryout as an 11-year-old, Nortey, who goes by the nickname of “C.” to honor his great-great-great grandparents’ last name Cadowuona, wasn’t selected to be a member of the Right to Dream Academy.

The academy is a nonprofit organization founded in 1999 that allows children the opportunity to reach their true potential through athletics and academics.

Two of his friends were selected, however, and he tagged along with them to practice one day shortly after the tryouts finished.

Nortey pled his case with the coach, and the coach obliged. The team had only one goalkeeper, Nortey’s position at the time, and needed another to properly run its drills.

Nortey had a one-week trial to show he was worthy enough to stay.

He struggled. The coaches knew it. His teammates knew it. But the team needed a second goalkeeper in order to run its drills correctly, and so he was allowed to stay.

He didn’t play in any games his first year there but was admitted into the academy.

Receiving admittance to the academy was crucial to Nortey and his family. Nortey’s mother, Ama Nortey, worked as a fisherwoman. His father left the family when Nortey was eight years old.

The family didn’t have much money but did have three children to feed, including Notrey.

At home, his mother was only able to provide one or two meals a day.

He didn’t want to go home and worry about forcing his mother to work harder to feed him or put him through school. The academy was his way to a better life for him and his family.

He also knew that his life could take a drastic turn for the worse if he didn’t attend the academy.

“I lived in a place where it’s really dangerous,” Nortey said. “You see little kids holding weapons … it’s just a crazy area. A lot of people I know went that route. This is my chance to get out of there, so I wasn’t going to waste it.”

Nortey made it into the academy because of his courage and persistence. But he stayed on through his soccer talent and strong performance in the classroom.

One day in the spring of 2007, Tom Vernon, the founder of the academy, called him in for the weekly chat that every member of the academy experiences.

“Everyone is scared (prior to the chat),” Nortey said. “You’re sitting there waiting and it could be good news or bad news. You could be going home that day. You can have good news or bad news. So everyone is shaking.”

The news Nortey received that day was positive. Vernon informed Nortey he had earned a scholarship to play soccer at Hotchkiss School in Connecticut.

Nortey was one of the few academy members who was a dual-threat: excelling athletically and academically.

“They select those that they think can do well (in America),” Nortey said. “Everyone in Ghana can come here and play. But to fit in and to do well and be ready to take on every challenge—not everyone in the academy is ready to do that.”

Nortey had made it out of Ghana.

Six months later he traveled to Connecticut where his life would change forever.

This profile will continue in Tuesday’s issue.