EDITORIAL: ‘Carpe diem,’ it’s inauguration time

Tomorrow, students may be roaming the streets, staying in bed or crowding into an arena, depending on their priorities.

Marquette’s 23rd presidential inauguration takes place in the Al McGuire Center at 10 a.m. Friday, when a majority of the student population will presumably be sleeping off hangovers or lounging on futons.

And the latter is a shame.

The university cancelled classes from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday in honor of the event.

Great, right?

Yes, it is. But not because we get a chance to catch up on our sleep, upload those lingering Labor Day pictures to Facebook or get a head-start on our weekend plans.

It is great because this is a landmark in Marquette history that we have an opportunity to attend.

We are not saying that we must drop all of that sleep, Facebook time and those social events tomorrow.

But we should prioritize enough to pause all that from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Why? Because regardless of your view of the administration or the Rev. Pilarz, this inauguration is a big deal.

Consider this: the Rev. Robert A. Wild reigned as Marquette president for 15 years. None of us students were here last time there was a presidential swap and we’ll most likely not be here for the next one. This is the only presidential inauguration we are going to get.

Not to mention tickets are free to students, and we should take advantage of such accessibility.

The more of us that are present to hear Pilarz’s goals and promises, the more of us available to hold him accountable down the road.

No ticket? There’s a “luncheon celebration” at Westowne Mall and the Alumni Memorial Union at noon Friday. Who doesn’t love free food?

Considering our options, even getting a head start on next week’s homework in Raynor Library or meeting with that group for your class project would be a better use of the “free” time the university has given us rather than lounging about.

Whether you make the ceremony or not, don’t blow off your Friday just because you feel like sleeping off that hangover. Carpe diem.