General election next for MUSG candidates

After the Marquette Student Government primary elections held last Thursday, six candidates for hall senator from McCormick and Cobeen Halls will move on to the general election, to be held this Thursday.

Freshman Zach Bowman, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, won 41.8 percent of the vote in the race for McCormick Hall Senator, putting him in second place, but withdrew after the election was held. The other four freshmen candidates, Tommy Hayes, a freshman in the College of Business Administration, Monica Raciti, a freshman in the College of Business Administration, Thomas Schick, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, and Meredith Zoltan, a freshman in the College of Business Administration, will advance.

In Cobeen Hall, Natalie Pinkey, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, and Alexandra Whittaker, a freshman in the College of Communication, advanced over Melissa Parres, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, and will also move on. Pinkey won 49.7 percent of the vote. Whittaker had 38.8 percent.

The election results were certified by Morgan Johnson, the MUSG elections coordinator and sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, and Jon Dooley, MUSG advisor and the senior associate dean of student development.

A total of 385 voters in Cobeen and McCormick Halls represents 34.0 percent of all eligible voters, MUSG reported.

All other halls did not have enough candidates to merit a primary election.

At press time, MUSG legislative vice president Drew Halunen said the results should be posted online within the next 24 hours.

Halunen said there is a hard copy of the results posted on the MUSG office door.