GRESKA: Which MU jersey tops the totem?

Andrei Greska

Last Tuesday, Marquette Athletics tweeted a peek at the new uniforms for the men’s basketball team. Reaction around the interwebs has been highly polarized.

You’re either drooling all over yourself, counting down the days until you can drop a “Benjamin” at the Spirit Shop for it or feel like gouging out your eyes and using them for toilet paper.

The main debate has originated from the use of a back graphic like the elite Nike and Jumpman schools have worn the previous years.

Marquette’s uniform features Marquette Hall at the top, with a famous bust of Al McGuire below it. Under that is a circle that supposedly represents a basketball with the “MU” logo on it, followed by the year the university was founded (1881) and finally the Jesuit motto, “Cura personalis.”

At first I thought the design was well thought out but poorly executed. The features on their own were fine but stacked on top of each other they looked way too vertical.

But having been lucky enough to see them in person, I have been converted. Start saving up. These puppies are classic.

Are they one of the best the school has ever had? Not quite yet. Marquette has a storied history of great uniforms and only time will tell.

Which are better you ask? I have a top-5 list all ready for your enjoyment.

5) 1976-’79 Home: Imagine if senior guard Darius Johnson-Odom went home and drew up a sweet design for some new threads. Now imagine he took that design to coach Buzz Williams, who liked its so much that he had DJO sit down with Nike and hammer out the details to have Nike actually make it.

This happened in 1976 with Bo Ellis and Al McGuire. On top of that, these were the first jerseys ever worn untucked and were worn during Marquette’s one and only championship season. How could this jersey be left out? (As an added bonus point, redshirt sophomore forward Jamil Wilson said this was his favorite Marquette jersey from the old days.)

4) 1969-’72 Roadie: The good old bumblebees. Marquette wore these babies en route to winning the 1970 NIT championship, back when it meant something. The psychedelic apparel was too good to be true, though. It was banned by the NCAA in 1972 when other teams complained it was disorienting when Marquette players jumped up and down. This uniform sums up what Marquette basketball is all about: originality and a brash style that dares people to look away.

3) 2007-’11 Alternate:  This is the jersey we all know and love. It was difficult picking between the golds and the baby blues, but in the end the baby blues remain more iconic. When Marquette comes out wearing these, you know it’s a big game. It doesn’t get higher in the standings because it hasn’t held up the test of time yet, but having the design remain similar for the newest style is a definite plus.

2) 1968-’73 Home: Very simple, very clean, but ultimately this 1968 jersey has all the makings of a beautiful jersey. The blue racing stripe on the side is accented with two thin, gold, parallel lines giving a common addition an exciting little twist. The circle around the number is the kicker, though. This design is unlike any other Marquette has had and would make for a great throwback for Marquette to wear in the near future.

1) 1971-’74 Roadie: It doesn’t get any better than this. A perfect color choice with a distinct pattern and great font. It is because of this beauty that announcers say we have the best looking jerseys in college basketball — seeing as the current design uses this jersey as its inspiration. Think about that for a second. When the ladies and gents at Converse (and now Nike) got together to design the best possible jersey, they used this one as inspiration. That right there is the definition what it takes to be No. 1.