Governors coming to Brew City in 2013

The 104th National Governors Association(NGA) annual meeting is about to get a lot cheesier.

The NGA chose Milwaukee to host the nation’s governors for its 2013 annual meeting, held Aug. 2-4. Wisconsin last hosted the NGA meeting in 1998.

The annual meeting is held to bring governors together to discuss issues to improve state government and strengthen federal-state ties, according to the association’s website.

Life-long Milwaukee residents and Governor Scott Walker expressed excitement about the NGA’s selection.

“I am honored that my fellow governors have selected us as their host and am thrilled for the opportunity to showcase the world-class city of Milwaukee and all that this wonderful state has to offer,” Walker said in a statement.

Megan Schneck, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences and Milwaukee-area resident, is excited to see the city honored on a national level.

“In studying politics, the focus can often rest on what happens in D.C. and it will be fascinating to study what happens in Milwaukee,” Schneck said. “It is not only going to highlight the importance Wisconsin plays in government but will also show what a great city Milwaukee is to live in and to visit.”

The NGA’s executive committee said it chose Milwaukee for its upscale hotel and meeting accommodations and overall appeal.

Financial responsibility for the annual meeting will be shared by the NGA and the state of Wisconsin.

Wisconsin’s bid for hosting the event came in large part from the partnership between the convention and visitors bureau Visit Milwaukee and the state itself.

Paul Upchurch, president and chief executive of Visit Milwaukee, is looking forward to the festivities that will surround the 2013 meeting.

“When you think of all the wonderful cities and destinations in the United States, it is quite an honor that we in Milwaukee were chosen to host this prestigious event,” Upchurch said in a statement. “We are looking forward to rolling out the red carpet and showcasing the best of Milwaukee to our distinguished guests.”

The association hosts two official business meetings each year. The upcoming winter meeting will be held in Washington, D.C., February 25-27. The 2012 annual meeting will be held in Williamsburg, Virginia, July 13-15.