Some students take fighting crime into their own hands

Department of Public Safety to offer courses on self defense this semester. Photo by Amanda Frank/ [email protected]

Marquette has seen an increase in armed robberies in recent months, with nine reported since July 1, and four of those occurring in the past six days.

In some of those incidents, students were able to successfully fend off their assailants. But Department of Public Safety Captain Russell Shaw said he does not recommend other students try the same thing.

“You can replace your property, but you can’t replace your life,” Shaw said. “It is certainly much safer to just turn over your property.”

According to the DPS webpage, if someone demands property from a student, the student should give what is demanded and then contact either DPS or Milwaukee Police Department immediately.

Of the July assaults, two different students retaliated against their assailants and were able to escape without injury.

In the first, which occurred near 17th Street and Kilbourn Avenue on July 10, according to a public safety alert released afterwards, a student punched his way through two unarmed males who tried to hit him and reach into his pockets. After escaping, he flagged down a MPD squad car.

A similar incident occurred on July 27 around 1:30 a.m., according to Shaw. A person who was not affiliated with Marquette, but temporarily living on campus, fended off four muggers who possessed a Taser.

Though it is recommended to never resist during an armed robbery, DPS teaches defense skills that will help in threatening situations.

Shaw said the university offers self-defense classes through DPS, but they are more focused on avoiding abduction and creating distance in potentially threatening situations, not resisting muggers.

The first DPS self-defense class this semester will be held in the Alumni Memorial Union on Sept. 15.

Amanda Lievre, a junior in the College of Business Administration, said she took a self-defense course at Marquette during her freshman year. Although she took the class, she said she still doesn’t feel prepared and would not fight back if confronted.

Tom Peirick, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, however, felt differently.

“I would try to fight them off because it’s my right to,” he said. “If they had a knife I’d fight back, but if they had a gun, I probably wouldn’t.”