ART Milwaukee makes a splash

ART Milwaukee's Watercolors on the Water is part of an ongoing ART Jamboree series. Photo courtesy of ART Milwaukee.

When most people think about watercolor painting, they often flash back to childhood memories of sloshing watery paints on cheap plastic trays and creating incomprehensible kindergarten projects. The odds are good that these memories don’t also include swing dancing, cocktails and delicious cuisine. That may change after ART Milwaukee’s upcoming Watercolors on the Water.

The free event takes place Thursday, Sept. 1 from 7 to 11 p.m. at the brand new 106seeboth lounge, 106 W. Seeboth St. The highlight of the evening is the exhibition of ten unique galleries, each by a different, local watercolor artist. But the exhibition also features spontaneous theater and mime performances, swing dancing lessons from the Jumpin’ Jive Club and live watercolor painting. The lounge will also be serving wine and cheese pairings, handcrafted cocktails and delectable appetizers at its riverside location.

The watercolor-filled evening is just one part of ART Milwaukee’s continuing ART Jamboree series. The program is a cooperative and interactive traveling art gallery that moves from place to place to showcase different art genres in unique locales. Every first Thursday of the month, a new Jamboree will be held in a different location with a unique artistic emphasis.

“Our goal is to reintroduce art styles, like watercolor, to the public in a dynamic and engaging way,” said ART Milwaukee Vice President Angela Damiani. “We want people to see that everything is art.”

The ART Jamboree series hopes not only to please art fans but also the locations that host the events.

“One of the things we try to do is highlight different communities and resources with a really fun experience,” Damiani said. “We bring somewhere between 300 and 600 participants to a new venue. They hopefully have a good time, and it then works as a marketing tactic for a new or upcoming establishment.”

106seeboth lounge hopes that the ART Jamboree program’s success keeps going into Thursday evening. The event is not only an art showcase, but also the launch of the new riverside hot spot. The building, former home of Café Luna & Lounge, has been renovated to create a more modern atmosphere. In addition, the outside of the building features a riverside boardwalk where Watercolors on the Water will have boats showcasing even more art.

“There will be art in every square inch of the entire facility,” Damiani said.

Adding to the evening are impromptu performances by a member of the Pink Banana Theatre Company. The actor will incorporate short performances randomly throughout the night.

“It’s something that the guests will be able to take away and think ‘Wow, that was something really unique that happened right in front of me,’” Damiani said.

Arguably the most unique and interesting aspect of the night, however, could be the complimentary “foot fives” noted on the Watercolors on the Water website. According to Damiani, the ART Milwaukee inside joke is exactly what it sounds like.

“We were at an event a couple of weeks ago, and there were a variety of activities involving children’s programming and events,” Damiani said. “A four-year old came up to us and showed us how to give a foot five, which is just a high five with your foot. We always say we give complementary high fives, but we’ve been using foot fives ever since we met that child.”

With a combination of mimes, unique high fives and fine art, Watercolors on the Water could be a perfect way to give a seemingly typical weeknight some splash.

Watercolors on the Water takes place Thursday, Sept. 1 from 7 to 11 p.m. at 106seeboth lounge, 106 W. Seeboth St. The event is free. For more info, visit their website.