LETTER FROM THE EDITOR: Tribune named best non-daily student paper in nation

This Tuesday, the Marquette Tribune was honored on a national level, being named the 2010 Best All-Around Non-Daily Student Newspaper in the country by the Society of Professional Journalists. It’s the first time the Tribune has won the award.

SPJ’s Mark of Excellence Awards honor the best in collegiate publishing and broadcasting. This is on par with winning a Pulitzer Prize at a professional newspaper, or pretty darn close to it.

Almost 4,000 entries were submitted this year. The Tribune, after winning the award at the regional level, competed against 11 other newspapers nationwide to take the top prize.

Derrick Chengery, Tribune managing editor, and I have received a flurry of e-mails, Facebook messages and handshakes congratulating us this week, but this award is not about us.

It’s about every single person on staff pouring everything they’ve got into making this an outstanding publication, and everyone around us who supports the Tribune and motivates us to work so hard.

It’s also about last year’s staff, which shares this honor and deserves just as much recognition. Former editor-in-chief Jim McLaughlin had this to say:

“Good leaders know that they’re only as good as their people. … Thanks to my staff, my mentors, my advisers and professors, and to you, our readers, for helping to make the Tribune as a publication the best for the community we serve and love.

Here’s to many more superlative awards, Tribbers!”

I also want to congratulate every current and former Tribune staff member who won an award this school year, as well as those involved with the Marquette Journal, Marquette Television and Marquette Radio who won awards.

I’m so incredibly proud of the Tribune staff, and I’m quite humbled and thankful for the opportunity to lead such a talented group.

Today, I officially pass the torch to Matthew Reddin. I know he’ll make an excellent editor-in-chief, and he and his staff will continue the Tribune’s great tradition next year.

Jeff Engel, editor-in-chief