Three fads that actually made this year worthwhile

Mind-Blowing Movies

Everyone loves to enjoy a simple movie. But sometimes, it’s nice to see a movie that turns the real world upside down and explodes your brain out of your ears. This year, there were two movies that redefined insanity: Christopher Nolan’s “Inception” and Darren Aronofsky’s “Black Swan.”

No matter what your interpretation was, “Inception” kept you talking and thinking. “Black Swan” was no different. Since the movie took place in the mind of Natalie Portman’s insane ballerina, the audience feels just as insane and confused. In both cases, the local cineplex became  home to some brilliant and terrifying new worlds. They didn’t even need 3-D glasses and blue people.

“The Walking Dead”

I would love to have been at the pitch meeting for “The Walking Dead.” Cable TV likes to push the envelope when it comes to violence, but this six-part zombie thriller topped almost all that cam before.

However, “The Walking Dead” became one of the biggest television hits of the year not solely because of the gore. It was a zombie show that was more about relationships than stumbling dead folks. Who would have thought a show featuring so many braaaaaaains would also have so much heart?

Awesome Movie Soundtracks

In the beginning, there was Hans Zimmer’s amazing score to “Inception,” which made both the movie and walks to class even more epic and dramatic than usual. Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross then created the ultimate studying soundtrack with their score to “The Social Network,” turning random bleeps into something surprisingly beautiful.

Add in the scores for “Tron: Legacy” and “Hanna,” by Daft Punk and The Chemical Brothers, respectively, and you’ve got the most epic year for soundtracks ever.

Check out the Marquette Tribune on Thursday for the year’s three fads that weren’t quite as awesome as these.