Don’t you forget about these: The person, place and thing you shouldn’t neglect next year

Neglect is a funny thing. When it’s at its greatest, it’s at its most invisible, and it takes a jolt to finally notice what you’ve been missing.

The person, place(s) and thing below are among Marquette and Milwaukee’s diamonds in the rough. From a new employee who’s worked behind the scenes to bring campus some of the year’s best events, to a pair of theaters just off campus that can be the epitome of “out of sight, out of mind,” to a student organization that can be occasionally overshadowed, these three deserve some props, and maybe a bit more of your attention once next year rolls around.

Dave Stockton, OSD coordinator for campus programs

By Sarah Elms

[email protected]

Here at Marquee we try and push our readers to get out into the city and take advantage of all the entertainment options in Milwaukee, but this year showed us there are plenty of events taking place right on campus worth sticking around for.

We welcomed comedian Danny Pudi and singer/songwriter Sara Bareilles to campus, roller-skated at ’80s Night at the Union Sports Annex and danced the night away at Snow Ball. And those are just some highlights.

But none of this could have happened without the hard work of the students who work on committees like Late Night and Marquette Student Government’s Program Board, and their dedicated adviser, Dave Stockton.

Dave Stockton, Coordinator for Campus Programs.

Stockton works in the Office of Student Development as the coordinator for campus programs. He coordinates Late Night programming on campus, advises MUSG Program Board, works closely with developing Winter Flurry and oversees commuter student programs. Stockton is involved in events like June’s Preview for incoming students and orientation, and has a hand in student conduct as well.

If you walk into the OSD offices and hear a man with a British accent passionately talking about a spoken word artist or a zombie-themed Halloween, you’ve found who we’re talking about. While this is only his first year at Marquette, the Manchester, England native has hit the ground running, already brainstorming a wide range of events for next year.

Stockton said most of the events he coordinates are multifaceted, so if he is bringing in an a cappella group, there might be karaoke, games and food involved as well. He can’t wait for what is in store for next year, and said the Late Night programs especially will be bigger and better than before, hopefully breaking the mold a bit.

Stockton is also looking forward to starting next year from scratch. Since he has only been in his position for a year, some of the events this year were coordinated by the previous individual in his position.

“The ability to look at a completely blank slate for the year and build it from scratch is exciting,” Stockton said. “My goal is always for programs to be student-run, so there is almost always a great deal of student involvement and achievement at the heart of our programs.”

Oriental and Downer Theaters

By Matt Mueller

[email protected]

Last summer’s blockbuster “Inception” proved two things. For one, it demonstrated that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is an extremely attractive man. Most importantly, however, it showed that audiences, even in the summer, want entertaining movies with a brain.

While they may not be able to promise any JGL, the East Side’s Oriental and Downer Theatres, both owned by Landmark Theatres, can certainly deliver when it comes to intelligent movies in a completely unique atmosphere.

The Oriental Theatre, 2230 N. Farwell Ave., which opened in 1927 and has remained relatively unchanged since, was named one of the best theaters in the nation by Entertainment Weekly in 2005 and has continued to uphold that reputation by showing exclusive independent and foreign films, as well as cult classics. One of the main draws, is their monthly midnight showing of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” which brings in all varieties of crazily dressed moviegoers every second Saturday of the month.

If you don’t have a desire to show off your finest drag queen outfit, the Oriental and Downer, 2589 N. Downer Ave., still have plenty of film options this summer to satisfy every film fan.

According to Oriental Theater manager Eric Levin, the theaters are expected to get “The Greatest Movie Ever Sold,” the latest documentary from “Super Size Me” director/star Morgan Spurlock, as well as “The Beaver,” which features Mel Gibson in his first on-screen role since his infamous phone outburst last July.

The Oriental and Downer also intend on showing some highly anticipated blockbusters.

“There has been some talk of getting ‘Super 8,’” Levin stated. “It isn’t really something we can plan too far ahead for though.”

“Super 8,” the latest film from Lost creator J.J. Abrams, is not the only big movie event the theaters plan to get for audiences. “The Tree of Life,” an epic Brad Pitt/Sean Penn family drama which has been in development for several decades, is expected to get an exclusive release at the Oriental on June 17.

These exciting new summer movies, plus the unique setting and a student discount, make the Oriental and Downer theaters ideal places to cool off this summer.

MUPS

By Annie Bolger

[email protected]

The Marquette University Players Society may have closed out their stellar season last month, but they are already looking ahead to next year.

The student-run organization, founded in 1925, was created at a time before Marquette even had a theater major, and was designed to give theater-oriented students a way to express themselves, according to a Nov. 19, 2009 story in the Marquette Tribune.

While there may now be a major for theater students at Marquette, MUPS still offers a niche for students who aren’t a part of the major, or who are but want to be involved in more shows than possible on the mainstage.

According to MUPS President Andrea Schoening, a junior in the College of Communication, MUPS gives you the best of both worlds when it comes to theater at Marquette.

“What’s great about MUPS is that you can do theater without giving your life to the Department of Performing Arts,” Schoening said. “You can basically do any show you want in any way you want.”

Schoening said MUPS put on three productions this season: “Boy Gets Girl,” a story by Rebecca Gilman about a woman dealing with a stalker; “Three Tall Women,” by Edward Albee, that follows a woman looking back on her life; and “Richie Vs. The Monster,” which deals with a boy and the monster that lurks under his bed and was written by Harry Loeffler-Bell, a senior in the College of Communication.

Next year, Schoening said, MUPS plans to take it to the next level, retooling their e-board to feature an artistic director, company manager, technical director and positions in public relations. The goal is to make the organization more like professional theater companies, and less like working on shows in an academic setting.

“MUPS intends to completely switch up the way we are running,” Schoening said.

The switch seems destined to improve MUPS’ fortunes, but to what extent won’t be knowable until they return in the fall — although it’s surely bound to be worth the wait.