Golf Brief TS2 JE3

The Marquette men’s golf team enters today’s final round of the Big East Championship in 10th place out of 12 teams at 39-over par (607) and is 24 strokes back of first place Notre Dame, which sits at 15-over par (583).

The three upperclassmen participating in the tournament — seniors Ben Sieg and Kelly Kretz and redshirt junior Matt Haase — led the way for Marquette through two rounds of play.

Sieg will enter the third and final round tied for 11th at 6-over par (148) after a 6-over par 77 in the second round of play Monday.

The individual leader ended the second round 1-over par.  There are three players entering the final round at that score: Louisville freshman Karsten Clements, and Notre Dame freshman Niall Platt and junior Max Scodro.

Kretz, who said his driving ability would help him and the team do well entering the tournament, sits tied for 20th at 8-over par (150) after a 3-over par 74 on Monday.

Haase holds the third-best score for Marquette entering the final round of play at 11-over par (153) on the back of a 3-over par 74 Monday.

Marquette, while in second-to-last place, is only five strokes back of fourth-place South Florida (602), so there’s room for movement up the leaderboard on the final day of play at the Big East Championship.