SUBMISSION: Same-sex partner benefits: secular trend

Dear President Wild,

Because homosexual activity is automatically assumed to be a present, important and an active part of any real-life homosexual “partnership,” to have Marquette offer domestic partner benefits to gays and lesbians is, by default, institutionally sanctioning active gay and lesbian sexual behavior.

The social, moral and spiritual consequences of your vote to approve domestic partner benefits for gay and lesbian couples at Marquette – and the resulting acceptance and approval of homosexual behavior – must be carefully considered.

Our spiritual obligation as Christians is to be compassionate, understanding and to recognize and honor the dignity of others – gay or straight. On the other hand, it is clearly not our Christian spiritual obligation to accept and promote the sin of gay and lesbian sexual behavior – even by default.

By Marquette offering domestic partner benefits to same-sex partners, the university is approving, supporting and legally sanctioning such lesbian sexual behavior. This is because sex is the very definition of a homosexual partnership, i.e. without sex, no actual partnership exists.

Furthermore, for Marquette to give the official seal of approval to gay and lesbian partners, the university is also giving the university’s official seal of approval and institutionally establishing homosexual behavior as being on an equal par, and as having the same privileges, as a married, heterosexual sexual relationship.

The social, moral and spiritual ramifications of this action by a Roman Catholic university must be considered on behalf of fellow Christians.

For example, what are consequences of the university’s leadership approving homosexual behavior, and what does this mean:

• To students? Those taught by your vote that they should accept – and even defend – an open and active gay lifestyle as being equal to the holy sacrament of matrimony.
  • To the members of our Catholic and Christian community? Who, by your leadership example, must now accept and defend open and active homosexuality as a relationship co-equal to a married heterosexual relationship.
  • To the spiritual duty of Catholic Church leadership? And to the other spiritual leaders within our society who are expected to try to emulate and spiritually follow the clear direction of Jesus Christ.

Just as all individuals and organizations within society must take full social responsibility for the direct and indirect consequences of their deliberate actions, I believe so too must our Catholic university’s spiritual leaders, University Academic Senate and elected student government representatives.

In this regard, Marquette’s leadership must bear the special burden of being an important Christian spiritual guiding light and moral compass within our society.

It is difficult to see university leadership rubber-stamp this decision in order to follow current secular norms and momentum. I expect and need the university’s leadership to carry the cross of Christ – and this action does not exhibit Christ-like behavior to me.

Respectfully yours,

Richard Polka

Richard Polka is a Milwaukee resident.