Women’s Volleyball looks to impress in Spring season

The last thing women’s volleyball coach Bond Shymansky wants is for his team to become a “flash in the pan” after its successful fall season.

Lucky for him, Marquette returns all but two of its members from the fall season and will look to continue its recent success as the team begins its spring season this weekend.

The team set school records last fall with 23 wins, 11 conference victories, and a 14-game winning streak that helped them to a No. 3 seed in the Big East Tournament.

Despite the team’s recent success, Shymansky said his team understands they will need to continue to progress in order to maintain their winning ways.

“I think our group is both hungry and humble enough to keep that in check,” Shymansky said. “And they understand what they need to do to be better, and so I think where I’m aware of it, I don’t worry about it.”

Leading the way during that historic season were seniors Rabbecka Gonyo and Nikki Klingsporn, who were each named to the All-Big East First Team, but have since left the team to pursue professional careers overseas.

Gonyo currently is playing for Voley Murcia in Spain, while Klingsporn is playing for VC Weisbaden in Germany.

Shymansky admitted trying to replace two players of Gonyo’s and Klingsporn’s talent level is near impossible, but said his team will feature new players ready to step up in their new roles.

“I think probably the most dangerous mindset you can get into, is that you’re going to replace a starter,” Shymansky said. “Really what we need to do is find out what the new person in that same position can do differently. That’s the best way to look at it.”

If Klingsporn and Gonyo were the foundation of Marquette volleyball, consider juniors Ashley Beyer and Ciara Jones the next level of the house the team is building.

Beyer, a member of the All-Big East First Team, ranked second in the Big East in kills and points, and will now be asked to take on a bigger role with Klingsporn and Gonyo gone.

The team will begin its spring season Saturday, March 26 at the Great Lakes Center Collegiate Tournament in Aurora, Ill. Freshman Kelsey Mattai said the team has worked on increasing intensity in practices.

“We’re definitely focusing on increasing our intensity as a team,” Mattai said. “Because increased intensity leads to increased execution, so that’s something we’ve really been working on.”

Shymansky said the team has been focusing on setting up its offensive system, which begins with rising freshman star Emma Brydels. Taking over for Klingsporn, Brydels will need to learn on the go.

“That’s your quarterback,” Shymansky said. “And so your quarterback has to have rhythm and connection on timing. And it’s going to take a few more reps in the spring season to get there.”

A trio of back row freshmen, Julie Jeziorowski, Rachel Stier, and Catherine Mayer also provided stability, and Shymansky said their maturity from the fall to spring has been vital.

“They’ve shed that [freshman] nerve and they have a much clearer focus for what’s required of them,” Shymansky said. “It doesn’t mean they automatically become better players, but it allows them to rebound faster when they don’t perform well.”

Shymansky expects Marquette to finish in the top three of the Big East this spring and is excited about competing for a conference title that eluded them last season.

The players agree.

“It was successful but we want to do better than last year,” Stier said. “Every year we want to make the tournament, so now we’re working even harder.”