MU women’s season ends at Tennessee’s backyard

In what was a home game in the NCAA Tournament for Tennessee in Knoxville, Tenn., the Volunteers ended Marquette’s season in a 79-70 victory.

Marquette was led by senior guard Angel Robinson’s 19 points and eight assists while playing all 40 minutes. Senior forward Paige Fiedorowicz added 12 points and nine rebounds in her final game in a Marquette uniform.

With 6 minutes, 15 seconds left, Marquette cut Tennessee’s lead down to one at 63-62. That one-point deficit remained only for 27 seconds, and then Tennessee went on a 6-0 run. Marquette never got within five points the rest of the way.

Depth may have been a problem for the Golden Eagles, who played seven players 17 minutes or more and two of them played the entire 40 minutes. On the other hand, Tennessee played nine players seven minutes or more.

Four players scored in double figures for Tennessee, which was led by freshman guard Meighan Simmons’ 18 points on 70 percent (7-of-10) shooting from the field.

Tennessee shot better from the field for the game shooting 51.7 percent (30-of-58) while Marquette shot 40.3 percent (27-of-67).

The Volunteers won the battle of the boards, outrebounding Marquette by six (40-34).

At halftime, the Golden Eagles found themselves down 39-35 after shooting 50 percent (5-of-10) on 3-pointers.