MUSG recommends rec facilities overhaul

Could there finally be a new recreation center coming to Marquette? If the Marquette Student Government has its way, there will be.

In its meeting before spring break, MUSG voted to recommend that the university undertake an initiative for a new recreation and wellness facility, moving the school one step closer to breaking ground on a new facility.

Various MUSG presentations over the past two semesters have stated that the current facilities do not have adequate space to house all of the club sports teams, intramural competitions and students looking to work out independently.

MUSG also passed a recommendation suggesting that the Office of the Provost create a committee to “investigate short and long term structural solutions to address the ongoing academic advising concerns,” according to the legislation.

The legislation is based on a Spring 2011 survey conducted by MUSG that found one in four students are dissatisfied or very dissatisfied with academic advising.

“Hopefully a committee run by the Office of the Provost will be able to explore the issues students have expressed with advising and offer possible beneficial solutions,” said bill co-author Drew Halunen, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences.