There are fun things to do in MKE over Spring Break!

Spring Break is only a few days away, and for many people, that means they are that much closer to a sunny-skied, it’s-so-warm-I-can-wear-shorts vacation.

Many consider those vacationers lucky, but the people who truly lucked out are those sticking around campus for the week off. Yes, we know what you’re thinking: “More snow, grey skies and chilly temperatures. Sure, sounds like a brilliant vacation.” But stop rolling your eyes, because with the stress of classes gone and precious free time again available, break is the perfect time to get out into the city Marquette students call home and explore all it has to offer.

Trust us, it offers a lot more than you think.

To prove it, we’ve put together a calendar of events taking place across Milwaukee on each day of Spring Break. We hope you find at least one thing that strikes your fancy, but we suggest you make it to more so your vacation trumps all of those cruises and beaches your friends will be bragging about.

Friday, March 11

Milwaukee native Margaret Stutt is the artist behind Pezzettino, shown here playing accordion. Photo via Pezzettino.

The now Brooklyn-based Milwaukee native Margaret Stutt is the artist behind Pezzettino, a lively musical project featuring accordion and piano. The musician created a buzz in the indie scene with her 2010 album “LubDub,” a collaboration with Milwaukee hip-hop artist LMNtlyst, and is currently recording an experimental indie opera, “Pedestrian Drama.” Pezzettino is back in town for a show at the Cactus Club, 2496 S. Wentworth Ave. The show is 21+ and starts at 10 p.m.

Not interested in a concert? Check out an art gallery instead. BYO Studio Lounge, 2246 S. Kinnickinnic Ave., is hosting “INK!!,” a follow-up to last year’s “INK!” exhibit (with twice the exclamation points) featuring illustrative pieces by a dozen local artists. An opening reception will be held from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., and since this the only cocktail gallery in Milwaukee, it offers patrons a chance to enjoy both art and drinks.

Saturday, March 12

The 45th Annual Shamrock Club of Wisconsin St. Patrick’s Day Parade kicks off at 12 p.m. from Third Street and Wisconsin Avenue, directly in front of Grand Avenue Mall. The parade will feature six Irish dance schools, pipe bands, marching bands, drill teams and numerous Irish organizations. The post-parade party is at the Irish Cultural and Heritage Center, 2133 W. Wisconsin Ave. from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. For a complete parade route, visit stpatricksparade.org.

Once the Irish festivities are done, head over to The Rave to enjoy a performance by the bluesy indie rockers Cold War Kids. After bursting into the spotlight with their 2006 release “Robbers & Cowards” and gaining musical credibility with 2008’s “Loyalty to Loyalty,” Cold War Kids have built up a dedicated fan base. This will be the band’s first performance in Milwaukee since their new album, “Mine is Yours,” was released Jan. 25.

Sunday, March 13

Sundays are always great days to relax and enjoy a good movie. Rather than staying in, venture over to Times Cinema, 5906 W. Vilet St., for “Fish Fry Night Milwaukee.” Directed by Ron Faiola, the film travels around Milwaukee to visit with chefs, wait staff, owners and diners at some of the city’s most popular and historic fish fry venues. It will most likely leave you hungry, but you’ll get out with plenty of time before dinner. The movie starts at 1 p.m. and tickets are $6.

"An Island" is a music documentary about Dutch band Efterklang. Photo via anisland.cc/home.

Monday, March 14

If Sunday’s movie of choice wasn’t your cup of cinema, go see “An Island,” an abstract documentary about eight-piece Dutch band Efterklang. French filmmaker Vincent Moon traveled with the band to an island off the Danish coast and shot footage of them collaborating and performing with more than 200 other musicians. The result is “An Island,” which depicts the band’s four days on the island and their new interpretations of songs from their album “Magic Chairs.” The screening is at Sugar Maple, 441 E. Lincoln Ave., at 8 p.m.

Tuesday, March 15

The Erotic Adventures of the Static Chicken at The Jazz Estate, 2423 N. Murray Ave., is a great option for mid-week entertainment. Don’t be fooled by the name, the “Erotic Adventures” is a weekly jam session led by bassist Matt Turner of Stealin’ Strings and drummer Jeremy Kuzniar of De La Buena and Kings Go Forth. The Jazz Estate features live music six nights a week and the two have been playing there since 2001. Tuesday’s show starts at 10 p.m.

Wednesday, March 16

Bus on over to the Cactus Club, 2496 S. Wentworth Ave., and take a listen to Milwaukee’s own pop trio Testa Rosa. Frontwoman Betty Blexrud-Strigens’ combination of airy vocals, guitar and keyboard is artfully supported by husband and guitarist Damian Strigens, bassist Paul Hancock and drummer Bill Backes. The group has regular airtime on 88Nine RadioMilwaukee, but don’t miss your chance to hear them live at 9 p.m. The show is 21 +.

Thursday, March 17

It’s officially St. Patrick’s Day, which means everyone who is even the least bit Irish will be celebrating their heritage. But even if you aren’t Irish you can still partake in Milwaukee’s festivities –as long as you wear green. And what better place to spend St. Patrick’s Day than The Irish Pub, 124 N. Water St., a somewhat authentic Irish tavern located in the Third Ward? The pub has a friendly, laid-back environment and offers Irish food, drink, games and live music. For those of you under 21, the Third Ward is hosting a celebration with various activities and a small parade.

Regardless of your intoxication, Miller Lite Free Rides will be providing free public bus service in Milwaukee starting at 6 p.m., so make sure you stay safe and take the bus.

Friday, March 18

Today you’re probably looking for a classier drinking experience to balance out your sloppy St. Patrick’s Day. Lucky for you, the Cheese Bar, 1048 N. Old World 3rd St., is hosting Sprecher Beer and Cheese Pairing 101. Stop by to sample some of the brewery’s newest recipes along with some of their classics. The cost is $12 in advance and $14 the day of.

Saturday, March 19

If you’re looking for entertainment different from the usual concert, art gallery or bar, then this event is for you. The Brew City Bruisers are Milwaukee’s all-female flat track roller derby team, and they are fierce competitors. Tonight’s event features two matchups out of the organization: Shevil Knevils vs. Crazy Eights and Maiden Milwaukee vs. Rushin Rollettes. The doors open at 6 p.m. and the whistle blows at 7 p.m. at the U.S. Cellular Arena, 400 W. Kilbourn Ave. Tickets are $15.

Sunday, March 20

Everyone knows a solid meal is important to get the nutrition you need to have a productive day of class, so make sure you get one in sometime today. Try any of The Lowlands Collection of Grand Cafes – Café Centraal, 2306 S. Kinnickinnic Ave., Café Hollander, 2608 N. Downer Ave., or Trocadero, 1758 N. Water St. All offer a variety of hearty and delicious options for any meal of the day.