Marshfield TDZ1 JMC2 DAC3 Dental School steps up aid in response to Marshfield

Marshfield Clinic, a Wisconsin-based health care system, may be planning a $10 million building billed as the second dental school in the state, but Marquette University School of Dentistry is unfazed.

The MUSOD just announced the creation of new partnerships and the expansion of existing ones with several area clinics to provide dental care to those who would otherwise be unable to afford it, said Kate Venne, director of university communication.

Under the supervision of instructors, third- and fourth-year dental students began seeing patients at the Beloit Area Community Health Center in January.

As part of the Focus on the Children Program at the Tri-County Community Dental Clinic in Appleton, MUSOD students have started seeing students from nearby school districts one extra day per week. Two exam rooms are used full-time by four Marquette dental students, which allows the clinic to expand its facilities and treat more children.

In the Milwaukee-based MUSOD Community Dental Clinic-North, Marquette dental students’ help has allowed the clinic to remain open on Thursdays to see an additional 18 children per week.

In addition to the north side clinic, the Marquette dental school also owns and operates the Main Clinic on Wisconsin Avenue and another Community Dental Clinic on the south side.

“The (Wisconsin Dental Assocation) supports the Marquette University School of Dentistry expansion proposal, because it is an accredited institution with a proven ability to provide quality doctors of oral health for Wisconsin residents’ dental care demands,” said Carol Weber, director of public relations at the Wisconsin Dental Association.

Dental school Dean William Lobb lauded the mutual benefits of the dental schools partnerships with these clinics.

“Students further their clinical skills as well as develop cultural competency and patient management skills while delivering quality care to patients who need it most,” Lobb said.

Lobb also said Marquette dental students serve approximately 26,000 patients per year at all of the clinics combined.

The partnership is a change of tune considering Marshfield Clinic’s original plans discussed with Marquette. Originally, Marshfield said it would include a post-baccalaureate program and a post-graduate residency program.

However, the clinic actually sought to establish the state’s second dental school. Neither Marquette nor the Wisconsin Dental Association supported the proposal at the time.

Lobb denied any associations between the proposal and Marquette’s current clinical partnerships.

“There are no connections between the Marshfield Clinic and their proposed building and any of the clinical partnerships we currently have,” Lobb said.

The association implied the permanence of MUSOD’s status as the top dental school in the state, no matter the competition that may arise.

“MUSOD has a long-time partnership with the state in providing cost-effective care to low-income residents, and expanding an existing, proven institution is a faster, more efficient and less costly way of delivering needed care to state residents today and tomorrow,” Weber said.