No. 20 Marquette women fall 65-62 to Cincinnati

After knocking off No. 12 DePaul 60-53 on Saturday, the Marquette women’s basketball team (22-7, 10-6 Big East) couldn’t keep the momentum of its two-game winning streak as it fell 65-62 on the road to Cincinnati (9-19, 2-14 Big East) Monday night. The Bearcats’ victory ended their 13-game losing streak.

Down three with 11 seconds left, senior guard Tatiyiana McMorris had two three-point field goal opportunities. One was blocked by Cincinnati senior guard Shareese Ulis, and the other just missed to leave the score at 65-62.

McMorris led the Golden Eagles with 18 points on 53.8 percent (7-of-13) shooting in 37 minutes. Fellow senior guard Angel Robinson added 16 points in 39 minutes of play in her final Big East regular season game.

With 1:25 left to play, Cincinatti senior wing Shelly Bellman hit a 3-pointer to put Cincinatti up for good at 63-62. The Bearcats made 44.8 percent (13-of-29) of their three-point field goals for the game, compared to Marquette’s 35.3 percent (6-of-17).

With 25 seconds left in the game, down 63-62, Marquette called a timeout. But the execution of the play coach Terri Mitchell drew up for her team failed, as Robinson had the ball stolen from her by Ulis, who finished with 20 points.

Marquette’s post players helped the Golden Eagles control the glass 34-20. Senior forward Paige Fiedorowicz had 12 points and seven rebounds to lead the way offensively for Marquette’s forwards. But freshman forward Katherine Plouffe led the way on the boards for Marquette with eight, furthering her transition from a guard to a forward.

Both teams shot extremely well throughout the game from the floor, with Cincinnati hitting 44.4 percent (24-of-54) and Marquette 50.9 percent (27-of-53).

Marquette cannot be pleased with the outcome of its final performance before the Big East Tournament, which starts on Friday in Hartford, Conn.