Sara Bareilles to play at Spring Concert

She’s not going to write you a love song, but she is coming to Marquette.

Three-time Grammy-nominee Sara Bareilles will be headlining this year’s Marquette Student Government-sponsored Spring Concert, MUSG announced yesterday.

The concert will take place in the Alumni Memorial Union Ballrooms on Friday, April 8 at 7:30 p.m, with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. The tickets go on sale today in the Brooks Lounge at 1 p.m. and cost $15. The general admission tickets are limited to one per person with a valid Marquette ID.

Bareilles is best known for her 2007 hit “Love Song,” which earned the number one spot on the Billboard Pop 100.

Originally, the concert was set to take place in the Varsity Theatre. But due to scheduled events during the day and the setup time needed for Bareilles’ equipment, the venue was changed to the AMU ballrooms, said David Stockton, coordinator of campus programs.

Student reaction has been varied, but Bridget Bolotin, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, said she was ecstatic about the news Bareilles will be performing at Marquette.

“Oh my God, she’s coming here?!” Bolotin said upon hearing the news.

Andrew Boyd, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, wasn’t as enthusiastic. He said he had never heard of Bareilles.

Boyd said he believed MUSG has the funding, power and capability to bring in a better-known artist to the college crowd.

Stephanie Fuller, a co-commissioner of the committee in charge of choosing Bareilles and a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said the pop performer represents a change of pace from last year’s mix-master, Girl Talk.

“Sara Bareilles is coming to appeal to those students interested in pop music,” Fuller said. “By switching it up every year, we’re offering different students each year the opportunity to see a performer they will enjoy.”

Kathleen Ward, also a co-commissioner, said she is very excited to see Bareilles perform.

“Her shows are very interactive, and she has been known to play all the songs we love, but also do some great covers,” Ward, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said. “We wanted to make sure to bring someone who would do more than just play music. We wanted it to be a fun show with positive energy.”

Both Ward and Fuller said Bareilles was chosen because students had expressed interest in seeing her and she also fit their budget, keeping the size of venues available on campus in mind.

With regards to the budget, Stockton said he was not able to disclose Bareilles’ compensation yet because the contract has not been signed. He said the figure should be released within the next few weeks.