Universities offer atypical majors

Weird majors around the U.S. include Bakery Science at Kansas State. Photo by Emily Waller / [email protected]

Marquette has its own method of attracting students, but some schools take a different route. For example, a major in bakery science, Canadian studies or bagpiping might draw a potential student’s eye.

And, believe it or not, these are not the only unconventional majors available at some universities.

The University of Maryland offers a degree in Turf and Golf Course Management, which involves classes in biology and chemistry, but also in “weed science.” Contrary to the popular slang term, this class actually deals with the study of grass.

At Vincennes University in Indiana, you can earn a degree in bowling industry management. Students learn about topics such as pin-setting mechanics and lane management, and gain experience on the only Vacu-Jig drill machine on any college campus in the country. The machine is used to drill holes into the bowling balls.

The above majors may seem more quirky than practical, but some say they can have a real impact in the career world.

“Having majors like these can be helpful at times because they put students in areas they are passionate about,” said Matt Myers, a career counselor at the Career Services Center and a graduate of the University of Maryland.

For example, students who graduate with a degree in bakery science from Kansas State can find careers in baking research and development venues or start a business in the bakery retail scene.

A student with a degree in Canadian studies at State University of New York-Plattburgh can pursue careers ranging from teaching to travel and tourism.

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign students can major in crop sciences, and even have access to a full size, carefully maintained cornfield on campus. Ben Valle, a University of Illinois freshman majoring in religious studies, shared a potential warning about the field.

“We built our library underground so there would be no shade on the cornfield,” Valle said. “Rumor has it you will be expelled if you walk across the corn field without permission.”

With all these strange, yet undoubtedly interesting, majors in mind, one must ask the question: Does Marquette offer degrees in such areas? If not, should they be implemented?

Myers doesn’t think so.

“Not having them is in no way a detriment to Marquette,” he said.

Although no comparably atypical majors could be found at Marquette, the university does have some interesting courses available, such as Introduction to Yoga and Coaching Team Sports.

Students are quick to say that Marquette should offer such majors simply for the unique factor.

“Marquette should have strange majors because it broadens the diversity on campus,” said Hazel Dehn, a freshman in the College of Communication.

But practicality could also be an issue.

“Having majors like these might make people want to come to Marquette, but you would be paying a lot of money for a random degree,” said Katie Lempke, a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences. “My parents would be so mad if they were paying for my degree in bagpiping!”