Sideshow

With more than 111 million people watching nationwide, Super Bowl Sunday has morphed into one of the biggest cultural events in the United States. Sad, yes, but also true.

Unfortunately, you can have too much of a good thing, and I think the Super Bowl is approaching that point.

Pregame coverage started at 9 a.m. for a game that started at 5:30 p.m. That’s a union day’s worth of coverage split over two networks. No number of Frank Caliendo impersonations could make that time drag less than it did.

To make it worse, Michael Strahan served as a super-sized Ryan Seacrest “interviewing” celebrities on a red carpet. I put interviewing in quotes because the subjects were either NASCAR drivers promoting the upcoming Daytona 500, Fox personalities promoting their shows or Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston promoting their movie.

After the pregame, it was time for the actual game, right?

Wrong! There was still a “pre-kickoff” show to endure, which included a reading of the Declaration of Independence, a rendition of “America the Beautiful” by Lea Michele (from the hit Fox show “Glee!”), the “Star-Spangled Banner,” F-16’s flying over a domed stadium and the coin toss.

Don’t get me wrong here: I love America. Who doesn’t? But do we really need to read the entire Declaration? Can’t we just stop at the “life, liberty and pursuit of happiness” bit? The list of grievances for the king is interesting, but not when the salsa con queso is getting cold.

And one more thing … shoot. I’m out of room, and I didn’t get to talk about everything. Here’s a quick summary: People who bet on the national anthem duration need a life. The halftime show was too sparkly for my taste. And the commercials underwhelmed again.

At least the game played out the right way.