Low confidence in government compels some to ‘Buy American’

Hate your government? Buy American. At least, that’s what researchers in the Journal of Consumer Research think you will do.

In the paper, titled “When Your World Must Be Defended: Choosing Products to Justify the System,” researchers found when Americans have low confidence in their government, they are more likely to buy American products.

In five studies, participants were presented with some passages and images that presented America positively, and others that presented the country negatively. Those who took in the latter content were more likely to choose American products over equally valued foreign products.

Steven Lysonski, a professor of marketing, said in an e-mail that nationalism could be a cause of these results.

“Some Americans feel that the U.S. government has not acted responsibly nor in the interests of the people,” Lysonski said. “It is likely that those who have low confidence in the U.S. government feel that it is their duty to be responsible Americans and help America.”

Brandon Barutt, a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences, said it makes sense that those with low confidence in government would want to promote their country.

Lysonski said a concept called consumer ethnocentrism suggests that some feel buying American products is a moral obligation.

“When people in a specific country feel threatened by other countries, there tends to be a feeling of solidarity amongst them,” Lysonski said.

But others, including marketing department chair Syed Akhter, said consumers largely look for value when purchasing, and care little about where products are made.

“I do not see a correlation between how much confidence people have in the government and whether they buy domestic products,” Akhter said.

“There is some economic nationalism; people like to buy the products they are familiar with. People do like the products made in their home country, but not everyone does. People want to buy products that satisfy their needs,” he added.

Roberta Coles, chair of the department of social and cultural sciences, said in an e-mail that many Americans may not even know where some products are made.

“I think many Americans don’t know which products are made in America, which companies are American companies, because the companies’ owners are often hidden,” Coles said.

Lysonski said not all consumers buy products simply based on where they are made.

“There have been many advertising campaigns trying to encourage natives in one country to buy products produced in that country,” he said. “Only some people respond to such campaigns. Those that have a high ethnocentric attitude tend to resonate the best.”

But Akhter said for the most part, businesses should focus purely on value.

“The strategy of businesses should always be that their product carries superior value, regardless of where the product is made,” Akhter said. “When you buy anything, how many times do you actually look at where the product was made? In general, people are looking for value for their money.”