DPS Reports 1/31/11

Jan. 28

At 8 a.m., a student reported his residence on the 2100 block of West Michigan Street was burglarized while he was in the shower. When he had gotten out of the shower, he noticed that his phone was not where he left it. Upon investigation, he realized that his T-Mobile cellphone, MacBook Pro and iPod Touch were all missing and the front door was ajar.  The estimated loss is $3,000. The Milwaukee Police Department was contacted.

At 3:13 p.m., a Department of Public Safety officer saw two students enter an alley behind a business in the 800 block between 14th and 15th streets, acting suspiciously and carrying alcohol. When the students realized the officer was approaching, they split up and the officer contacted the front desk of Schroeder Hall and asked them to stop one of the individuals. By the time the officer had arrived, the student had already passed through into the residence hall.

DPS went to his room and, while inside, they discovered rolling papers and a rolling device, along with four shot glasses. When asked about the alcohol, the student admitted to purchasing alcohol with a fake ID but “got tweaked” and left the alcohol in the alley when he realized he was being followed. The officers also detected a strong odor of marijuana coming from the student’s roommate’s desk.

Once the student was contacted and agreed to open the drawer, the officers found two smoking devices, along with a grinder and an over-the-counter pain reliever bottle with a leafy green substance.  MPD was contacted, took possession of the paraphernalia, handcuffed the student and took him into custody. When the student returned to school, he admitted he had actually left the alcohol in the 8th floor plumbing closet in Schroeder Hall.

Jan. 29

At 12:19 a.m., a suspicious odor from a third floor room in Schroeder Hall was detected and DPS was contacted. When the officers arrived, a male and female student answered, and the male admitted to smoking marijuana. The student cooperated and also turned over a glass pipe and prescription drug bottle that was not made out to him. MPD took the male into custody and charged him with possession of drug paraphernalia. At the request of the hall staff, DPS searched the male’s room and found 10 cans of Four Loko as well as a shot glass and flask.  The items were turned over to the hall staff.