LAW graphics KW1 RP2 DAC3

1. A graphic of one (or multiple) sliding law scales with the decreasing number of jobs available in the law sector

Unemployment in Legal occupations: (Courtesy of the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics) http://www.bls.gov/oes/#data
2003- Unemployed Persons: 35,000      Unemployment Rate: 2.3
2006- Unemployed Persons: 22,000      Unemployment Rate: 1.3
2009- Unemployed Persons: 60,000      Unemployment Rate: 3.4

2. Another graphic giving “employment rates” from various law programs’ graduates

“Graduates Employed Upon Graduation” Courtesy of U.S. News & World Report (with ranking)

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/rankings/page+5

1 Yale – 93.5%
2 Harvard – 97.1%
11Duke University- 100%
11 Northwestern – 98.2%
27 Indiana – 89.2%
28 Wisconsin (Madison) – 80.8%
NA Marquette – 61.0%
NA University of Baltimore – 93.4%

3. Employment Status Over The Years

(Courtesy of NALP): http://www.nalp.org/recentgraduates
This looks like a lot of info, but I was thinking we could make a line graph out of it.

Class of 2009:
Bar Passage Required – 70.8
Class of 2006:
Bar Passage Required – 75.3
Class of 2003:
Bar Passage Required – 73.7

Class of 2009:
JD Preferred – 9.2
Class of 2006:
JD Preferred – 7.9
Class of 2003:
JD Preferred – 6.5

Class of 2009:
Other Professional -5.4
Class of 2006:
Other Professional – 5.1
Class of 2003:
Other Professional – 5.7

Class of 2009:
Other Non-Professional – 1.8
Class of 2006:
Other Non-Professional – 1.3
Class of 2003:
Other Non-Professional – 1.6

Class of 2009:
FT Degree -3.1
Class of 2006:
FT Degree – 2.2
Class of 2003:
FT Degree – 2.7

Class of 2009:
Seeking Job -6.0
Class of 2006:
Seeking Job – 2.7
Class of 2003:
Seeking Job – 4.0

Class of 2009:
Not Seeking Job – 2.7
Class of 2006:
Not Seeking Job – 2.1
Class of 2003:
Not Seeking Job – 2.1

***This last one is if we need another graphic. The non-numbers part is more so we know what each are; I’m not sure if we have to clarify each topic in the graphic itself so I included it anyways.

4. Some kind of cool pie chart or interesting depiction to help explain how the Law School rankings are tabulated (Like so much is based on x, so much on y, etc.)
According to U.S. News & World Report: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-law-schools/articles/2010/04/15/the-law-school-rankings-methodology?PageNr=2

Law School Rankings are based on a weighted average of 12 measures of quality, with the most recent rankings using data from the fall of 2009 and early 2010.
Quality Assessment (weighted by .40)

Peer Assessment Score (.25) In the fall of 2009, law school deans, deans of academic affairs, chairs of faculty appointments, and the most recently tenured faculty members were asked to rate programs on a scale from marginal (1) to outstanding (5). Those individuals who did not know enough about a school to evaluate it fairly were asked to mark “don’t know.”
Assessment Score by Lawyers/Judges (.15) legal professionals, including the hiring partners of law firms, state attorneys general, and selected federal and state judges, were asked to rate programs on a scale from marginal (1) to outstanding (5). Those individuals who did not know enough about a school to evaluate it fairly were asked to mark “don’t know.”
Selectivity (weighted by .25)
Median LSAT Scores (.125) The combined median scores on the Law School Admission Test of all full-time and part-time entrants to the J.D. program (2009 entering class).
Median Undergrad GPA (.10) The combined median undergraduate grade-point average of all the full-time and part-time entrants to the J.D. program (2009 entering class).
Acceptance Rate (.025) The combined proportion of applicants to both the full-time and part-time J.D. program who were accepted for the 2009 entering class.
Placement Success (weighted by .20)

Employment Rates for Graduates. Graduates who are working or pursuing graduate degrees are considered employed. Employment rates are measured at graduation (.04 weight ) and nine months after graduation (.14 weight). For the nine-month employment rate, 25 percent of those whose status is unknown are counted as employed. Those who are unemployed and not seeking jobs are excluded from the calculations and are not counted as unemployed. Those who are unemployed and seeking work are counted as unemployed in the calculations of the employment rates.
Bar Passage Rate (.02)