Punches, expletives allegedly thrown at DPS officers

A 19-year-old Marquette student who attempted to punch a Department of Public Safety official Saturday morning was arrested for disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing.

According to Captain Russell Shaw, associate director of DPS, the incident occurred at 12:07 a.m. on Saturday when DPS officers observed three males acting suspiciously in the 800 block alley between North 13th and 14th streets.

The subjects initially hid themselves and ran from officers after questioning, but during the chase one of the officers noticed one individual drop some type of smoking device into a snow bank, Shaw said.

Officers grabbed a bag with trace amounts of a green, leafy substance, picked the subject up after he fell and walked him back to the 800 block of North 14th Street. He grew extremely uncooperative, calling officers “rent-a-cops” and several expletives, and refused to present identification, Shaw said.

The subject pushed a female DPS officer, and she called for backup.

She approached to speak with the individual, who then grabbed her jacket, ripped it and repeatedly attempted to strike her with a closed fist, Shaw said. He was not able to land any punches. They both lost their footing and fell to the ground.

DPS officers disengaged, and the Milwaukee Police Department was contacted.

The subject who pushed the DPS officer and one other subject were later found at Schroeder Hall. It was later determined both subjects were students that live at Schroeder, and because drugs were found on the street, both rooms were searched. One room produced nothing. The other produced a bottle of Jagermeister, a beer bong and multiple shot glasses.

MPD arrived later. DPS officers again tried speaking with the first subject, now in the 1200 block of West Wells Street, when he reportedly lowered his shoulder and ran into a male officer. MPD took him into custody.

The second subject, a 20-year-old male, was not cited.

Shaw said DPS deals with this “maybe a few times a year.” Regarding the first subject, Shaw said, “I’m surprised there was no battery for him. It’s lucky for him he didn’t connect.”