Pint-sized film creates waves

I’ve always admired the people who can find the time to see everything ever possibly nominated for the Oscars. So after watching last year’s short film nominees, I’ve started to try to find other short films. With the invention of YouTube, it has become even easier to just peruse the Internet for almost anything.

In my search, I managed to stumble upon a low budget 2008 short film called Glory at Sea over break. Made with only a $100,000 budget, the 25-minute short is narrated by a young girl trapped at the bottom of the ocean and follows a group of people who band together to find their missing loved ones after a brutal storm. Together, the group builds a boat from the leftover wreckage and sail it across the sea in order to find their loved ones, still trapped on the sea floor.

The short threads themes of hope prevailing over uncertainty with the role that God plays in life and death.

The film, set in New Orleans, maintains a beautiful landscape even when covered with the leftovers of a storm and uses a mockumentary-style cinematography that highlights the feeling the movie portrays.

It’s also accompanied by a lyrical soundtrack, composed by writer and director Benh Zeitlin, that uses a subtle plucking style and creates a sort of wave effect that follows the storyline perfectly.

Though the short film has a rather small following and comes from a pint-sized film company that produces short films yearly, it is something to look for whether you’re a movie buff or just someone with free time to spend surfing the web.