Chevy Volt wins prestigious award at North American auto show

The Chevy Volt is the first electric car to win the North American Car of the Year Award.

After being named the 2011 North American Car of the Year at the North American International Auto Show last week, the Chevrolet Volt has electrified the auto industry.

The Volt, which has also driven away with the titles of Car of the Year from Motor Trend and Automobile of the Year from Automobile Magazine, is the first electric vehicle to win Car of the Year at the NAIAS.

The Volt uses an entirely electric engine and a lithium-ion battery pack that provides 25 to 50 miles of driving range. But unlike other electric cars, it also features a gas-powered generator that can extend the Volt’s range up to 379 miles.

Electric vehicles are starting to make their presence felt due to the changing industry and rising fuel prices, said Mike Whittow, assistant to the vice president and Marquette’s sustainability officer.

“I think we’re in the starting phases of electric vehicles getting a foothold,” Whittow said. “With the price of gasoline rising, you’re going to start to see more and more electric vehicles.”

But given its starting price tag of $32,780 after a $7,500 federal tax credit, the Volt may not be a viable option for recent college graduates and other first-time car owners, he said.

“It’s going to save you money down the road, but it’s difficult to come up with the up-front money,” Whittow said. “It’s geared more toward people who have some disposable income.”

It’s not likely the Volt will be targeted to new income earners, said Jim Pokrywczynski, an associate professor of advertising and public relations, in an e-mail.

Pokrywczynski said more than likely, graduates five or more years removed from college who have fewer college loans to pay back would consider buying the Volt.

Other concerns, such as long charging times or battery reliability issues, could prevent students from wanting to buy a Volt, said James Crovetti, an associate professor of civil and environmental engineering and the director of Marquette’s transportation research center.

“The costs of overnight charging need to be considered,” Crovetti said in an e-mail. “Many think of electric cars as zero-pollution vehicles, but that is short-sighted considering the need to produce the electrical energy for recharging.”

Crovetti said shorter ranges require quick charging times, but the corresponding fast time may shorten the life of the batteries.

“For shorter fully-charged ranges, quick charging would be needed, comparable in length to filling up your car and getting lunch,” he said. “Developing a nationwide system of quick recharging stations with adequate capacity, or maybe battery swapping stations, would be needed.”

Whittow said although Volt ads won’t be targeted toward recent college graduates, Chevrolet’s advertising has been successful on the whole.

“Getting the buzz out before it even came out was smart,” Whittow said.

Pokrywczynski said even if electric cars like the Volt struggle at first, their success may be inevitable.

“It will be a tough challenge, but if gas prices continue to climb toward $4-5, that climate would positively impact sales of such products,” he said.