Flirting goes viral: Likealittle offers anonymous courting

One of the worst trends the rise in technology has caused is the obvious decline in quality pick-up lines.  Back in the day, it used to be hard for a guy to use a pick-up line such as, “Hey baby, I’m not Elmo, but you can tickle me any time you want.” Today, however, people can avoid their inhibitions and post exactly what they are thinking on likealittle.com.

The site was founded on October 25 by the Stanford University trio of EvanPrasanna and Shubham, whose last names, fittingly, were not provided. They made the site as a flirting-facilitator platform, or a place where people are encouraged to anonymously flirt with one another.

There are some rules. First, when you make a comment, you are given a random fruit name, for a given thread. This helps you maintain a conversation, while being anonymous. Second, for each new thread, you get a different random fruit name.

The site is to encourage complements, and does not allow any negative comments. Negative comments will be removed if flagged.

Alex Wisinger, a junior in the College of Health Sciences and one of the creators of Marquette’s chapter of likealittle.com, said that the website was for students to compliment one another anonymously.

“The goal I had for the site was for people to have fun, share funny pick-up lines and compliment classmates anonymously,” Wisinger said. “This would allow kids to keep identities secret which would encourage people to be more honest.”

He said he found out about the website from some of his friends who attend Northern Arizona University, and he found it to be a fun site where people post clever pick-up lines and compliments.

“I e-mailed Evan (the creator of likealittle) and got the page,” Wisinger said. “At first it was just a few friends just joking around to show it was a fun page that isn’t as raunchy as a text from last night or even the more discreet CollegeACB … We posted it on our Facebooks and literally over a single weekend we had a ton of people using the site and following the examples of our posts.”

However, Wisinger said sometimes students take the flirting too far or post comments that don’t uphold with the spirit of the site, which has proved to be a problem.

Wisinger said students should not be using the website as a means to attacking others like websites such as JuicyCampus used to do.  He stressed the website was meant to be a fun and uplifting place for students to feel good about themselves.

Melissa May, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said that the website is a fun place, especially when you know the people who are being mentioned.

“It’s funny when your friends pop-up on the site,” May said. “I have a friend that wears light-up shoes and he’s on it quite often. It’s also fun for DRs who appear every other post.”

Jennifer Solorio, a junior in the College of Communication, recognized she was mentioned on likealittle and found it flattering.

“Honestly, it’s funny,” Solorio said.  “It seems as if the majority of entries are from freshman and being a McCormick desk receptionist puts my coworkers and I in the ‘freshman eye.’  Ultimately, it is meant to be complimentary, a creepy form of it, but it is flattering, nonetheless.”

Solorio is not the only student who found the site humorous.  Craig Fischer, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, also was mentioned and enjoyed it.

“It’s just kind of funny,” said Fischer.  “I feel like you can’t take it too seriously because it’s hard for people to be sincere about it.”