Red kettles and ringing bells typify holiday spirit

Photo by Cy Kondrick / cy.kondrick@marquette.edu
Volunteers ring at over 200 Milwaukee locations, Photo by Cy Kondrick / [email protected]

’Tis the season of giving, and as we walk through malls and enter grocery stores, we drop a quarter into the kettle, knowing that the money is going to help brighten someone’s holiday spirit.

The Salvation Army’s Red Kettle program has been a staple of the holiday season for more than 100 years across the nation and in Milwaukee.

The program began in 1891 in San Francisco as a means to raise money for the needy, according to Robert Thomson, divisional commander of the Wisconsin and Upper Michigan division of the Salvation Army. Thomson said the Red Kettle program is its biggest fundraiser of the year and runs from the beginning of November to Christmas or a couple of days after. There are around 200-250 sites in the Milwaukee area.

The money raised goes to the Salvation Army to fund several programs that help the needy around Christmas time and throughout the year, he said. For example, the money goes to toys, foods and gifts for Christmas, as well as their community center, homeless shelter and after school programs.

“We set a goal every year as part of our budget,” Thomson said. “The goal this year is $2.75 million.”

As of right now, the Salvation Army is about $90,000 short of where it were last year, he said. Thomson said people are more careful with their charitable donations due to the economy.

Over the years, the Salvation Army has found Milwaukee to be a very generous community, and Thomson said he is hopeful about reaching the goal.

Thomson has been around the Red Kettle program for about 55 years, since his parents were officers for the Salvation Army. Today, he still helps out by ringing or playing his horn at the kettles.

The program is usually volunteer-based, but the Salvation Army will pay select people, Thomson said.

“We help them earn a few dollars to help pay for rent or the heating bill,” he said. “And some of the stores see the work ethic of our bell ringers and will hire them to work there.”

Although not a full-time staff member, Kalvin Taylor of Pine Bluff, Arkansas, has volunteered with the Red Kettle program for three years and has enjoyed every minute of it.

“I just like ringing and having fun,” Taylor said.

Taylor got involved with the program with his ex-girlfriend, who has volunteered for 18 years.

The Salvation Army picks volunteer locations and designated time slots, Taylor said. He works from 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. at a local Pick N’ Save.

Rosearl Barnes of Milwaukee feels blessed to be ringing.

“I enjoy it because there are a lot of needy people in the world and for the children,” Barnes said. “They need their food and clothing.”

She said she gets a kick out of doing it and loves when people complement her for her hard work.

“This is the Lord’s money and he’s giving it to his babies,” Barnes said.