‘Whipahol’ hits Wisconsin stores

With some states banning Four Loko, regulators have ruled that alcohol and caffeine shouldn’t mix. But what about alcohol and whipped cream?

Alcohol-infused whipped cream, or “whipahol,” has been generating a lot of buzz recently as a possible replacement for products like Four Loko. The drink has been banned by multiple states and is the subject of an impending ban by the Food and Drug Administration.

But whipahol is readily available in 21 states, including Wisconsin, thanks to an Ohio-based company called CREAM. CREAM makes whipahol and sells the product for $12-13 per can, and its version of whipahol is 15 percent alcohol (30 proof).

A similar product, Whipped Lightning, is not yet available in Wisconsin. Both products are available online.

CREAM comes in flavors of raspberry, vanilla, chocolate, cherry, and caramel; Whipped Lightning offers varieties like “Hazelnut Espresso” and “Tropical Passion.” Both companies’ websites also offer recipes for how to mix whipahol with shots, mixed drinks and coffee.

Although both Four Loko and whipahol have high alcoholic content, the two products don’t necessarily have a lot in common otherwise, said John Mantsch, a professor in the department of biomedical sciences.

“The major concern with Four Loko and similar drinks was the combination of high amounts of caffeine with alcohol, which, when consumed in large quantities, was dangerous in some people,” Mantsch said in an e-mail. “To my knowledge, this is not the case with these products.”

However, Mantsch said whipahol can pose other dangers, especially to adolescents.

“The risk is that these products make alcohol consumption more appealing to younger populations,” he said. “The high sugar content may mask the taste associated with higher proof alcohol, thus leading to the consumption large amounts.”

Gene Laczniak, a professor in the department of marketing, said in an e-mail the marketing of products like whipahol is a sensitive matter.

“Whipahol strikes me as a product with limited appeal for college students, especially college-aged males,” Laczniak said. “However, this sort of product might be the type that would have some attraction with middle or high schoolers. Marketers of a product like this have a special responsibility to protect vulnerable groups.”

Mantsch agreed, saying these products target the younger demographic of underage students and college students over the age 21.

“I would guess that the novelty of these products alone will make them attractive,” Mantsch said.

Laczniak said any targeting of those under the age of 21 by marketers would be unethical.

Although this product idea could be considered bizarre, there is the potential for success in sales.

“It may be a bit unorthodox, but it’s what the people demand,” said Robert Machado, a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences. “It just might be crazy enough to work.”