Women’s basketball brief

The Marquette women’s basketball team visited winless Vermont Saturday and came away with its most dominating performance of the season thus far.

The Golden Eagles began the game with an 18-0 run and held the Catamounts to an astonishing six points at halftime en route to a 68-19 road win. As it had against previous less-skilled opponents, Marquette simply punished a severely overmatched Vermont team to improve to 7-1 overall.

Four Golden Eagles scored more than 10 points, with senior guard Angel Robinson’s 12 points, seven rebounds, three steals and four assists propelling the team to victory. Senior forward Paige Fiedorowicz added 14 points and four rebounds.

The majority of the scoring occurred in the paint, where Marquette outscored the Catamounts 36-6. The defense ruled the boards as well with a total of 51 rebounds to Vermont’s 25. By allowing a mere 19 points, the defense also set a Marquette Division I record for fewest points allowed in a game.

The offense was just as devastating, converting on 26-of-54 shot attempts, including a season-high 6-of-16 from three-point land.

As she does with every non-conference game, coach Terri Mitchell used the Vermont matchup to prepare for the Big East season. But at the same time, she took her team’s performance for what it was.

“I thought, defensively, we had incredible focus,” Mitchell said. “We had a lot of communication and made things happen. Offensively, we were able to use several combinations and really give people some valuable minutes.”

Marquette will go from a winless opponent to one that hasn’t lost in almost three years as the Golden Eagles travel to Connecticut on Thursday for the Big East conference opener.