Senior forward Jasmine Collins out four weeks

Senior forward Jasmine Collins had been a surprise player for the Marquette women’s basketball team early in the 2010-’11 season, but the Golden Eagles will be without her for the next four weeks due to a hand injury.

The injury was suffered in Marquette’s 66-52 victory against Wisconsin-Madison on last Wednesday.  Marquette lost its first game of the season in the first game the team didn’t have Collins, a 63-61 loss at Creighton last Sunday.

In the two games Marquette has been without Collins, the team’s second leading rebounder at 5.6 per game, the rebounding productivity hasn’t suffered.  Marquette tied Creighton in rebounds at 29 and outrebounded Iona 47-32 last night.

“We definitely missed her against Creighton and we missed her tonight,” coach Terri Mitchell said.  “JC is an outstanding rebounder and a great defender.  She’s just another player who can get up and down the court fast.”

Sophomore forward Sarina Simmons said Collins still positively influences the team from beyond the court.

“Even with Jasmine being out she’s still a force on our team,” Simmons said.  “She’s a great motivator, even on the bench. She gets in our heads and makes sure we’re focused.”

Marquette’s frontcourt depth was shaky coming into the year with only three forwards with Division I experience, Collins being one of them.  Although Collins had limited action last season, she had averaged 16.8 minutes and seven points per game this season and was often Marquette’s “sixth man.”

“(We’re) trying to find that fourth post in the rotation,” Mitchell said.  “Right now we’re just working with a three post rotation and I think they tire out (quickly).”

The Gaels (1-4) had an unimpressive record coming into the game, but it’s not like Marquette towered over them.  The Gaels had three players standing 6-feet-1-inch on the court throughout the game.  Marquette could only counter with two players who matched that description at any given time.

Mitchell said the key to the rebounding performance against the taller Gaels was in the team’s attack and pursuit mentality.  Mitchell added that Marquette’s 30 percent field goal percentage helped create more rebounding opportunities too.

The loss of Collins will be easier to swallow if sophomore forward Sarina Simmons continues to be a ball hawk.  Simmons had 10 rebounds at halftime Wednesday and 17 for the game, a career high for her.