Marquette vs. Longwood: Players to watch

Antwan Carter, Center, Longwood Lancers

The Golden Eagles have been out-rebounded 117-86 in their last three games, meaning the Lancers’ top rebounder could be in line for a big night. The 6-foot-6-inch junior center has averaged 11 boards through the team’s seven games, including a 17-rebound performance against Virginia Wise.

On the season, Carter is shooting 60 percent. He also tied his career-high with 22 points in a 113-75 loss to No. 4 Kansas, so Carter is no stranger to success on the big stage.

Marquette’s aggressiveness on offense could cause Carter some problems. The St. Petersburg, Fla., native is averaging about a foul every eight minutes on the floor and has already fouled out of two games. Carter is also a liability from the free throw line, shooting 54.2 percent from the charity stripe this season.

Darius Johnson-Odom, Guard, Marquette Golden Eagles

Johnson-Odom finally broke out of an early season shooting slump by connecting on 10-of-14 shots and adding a career-high 29 points in a win over Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Saturday. The Golden Eagles will look for more of the same from Johnson-Odom against Longwood as they try to keep pace with a team that averages 84.9 points per game.

The 6-foot-2-inch guard will need to bring it on the defensive end as well. The Lancers shoot 40.8 percent from beyond the arc, led by junior forward Jan van der Kooij and junior guard Martiz Washington, and thrive on passing, ranking fifth in the nation with 19.4 assists per game as a team. Shutting down the Lancers’ backcourt will go a long way toward securing a victory.