Women’s Basketball Brief

Records are always meant to be broken, and unfortunately for members of the Marquette women’s basketball team, their winning streak was ended at five with a 63-61 loss at Creighton (3-2) on Sunday. It was the team’s first loss of the season.

Marquette (5-1) had extended its winning streak to five with a 66-52 victory over in-state rival Wisconsin-Madison (2-5) in Madison on Wednesday, but the sixth was not meant to be.

Against Creighton, Marquette shot very well from the field (45.1 percent) but went 0-of-6 from beyond the arc. The team also missed four free throws (15-of-19, 78.9), which isn’t terrible, but proved costly in such a close game.

It was senior guard Angel Robinson who led the team in both games offensively and asserted herself more than at any other point in the young season. Robinson led the offense with 32 points against Creighton and 23 against Wisconsin. Robinson entered the two-game stretch averaging 11.3 points per game.

Sophomore forward Sarina Simmons also stepped her game up over the two game stretch. Simmons averaged 15 points and 8.5 rebounds per game, including a double-double (15 points and 10 rebounds) against Wisconsin, and led Marquette in rebounding in both games.

For a team that claimed its biggest weakness was its size, it certainly hasn’t been the problem early in the season. In the two games over break, Marquette out-rebounded Wisconsin by two (42-40) and was even with Creighton (29-29). For the season, Marquette is out-rebounding its opponents by an average of 8.5 rebounds per contest.

Marquette looks to get back on track Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. against Iona at the Al McGuire Center.