Dr. Drew event offers entertaining, serious answers to provocative questions

In his famous song, “Let’s Get It On,” Marvin Gaye sang “stop beating around the bush.” Marquette students took his advice Thursday night by attending the MUSG-sponsored event, “An Evening with Dr. Drew Pinsky” in the Alumni Memorial Union Ballrooms.

Pinsky, known for his radio show “Sex Talk” and VH1 program “Celebrity Rehab,” discussed the effect “hook-up culture” has on society, specifically at universities around the country.

“‘Hook-ups’ and always wanting to ‘hook-up’ can lead to disorders such as alcoholism and emotional detachment,” Pinsky said.

He questioned the crowd of more than 600 students on why they felt they need to be inebriated in order to “hook-up” with someone.

“Cause sometimes it’s hard to talk to girls,” said one male student.

Many students laughed at the comment, establishing an informative, yet light-hearted tone for the remainder of the night.

“It was really cool to get to listen to him talk,” said Kevin Wolffersdorf, a junior in the College of Communication.  “He was hilarious.  It was cool that he knew what he was talking about and could actually talk about this stuff with us.”

Others in attendance echoed Wolffersdorf’s thoughts, and many waited more than 30 minutes afterward to snap a picture with Dr. Drew.

“I think that he was a good person to bring in,” said Annie Radjenovich, who was in attendance but not an MU student.  “People were talking and seemed really comfortable which you don’t see too often when talking about these topics.”

Richard Rademan, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said students can easily relate to Pinsky’s message.

“He talked about his kids a lot, which was cool,” Rademan said.  “It was very informative.  He talked about things that (students) go through that never get talked about, like sex, and drugs.”

And even though Pinsky enjoyed joking with the crowd, he did have a serious message to deliver regarding drugs and alcohol.

“Aderrall is a (expletive) drug,” Pinsky said.  “Don’t use Aderrall for studying, please.”

Drug and alcohol abuse is often times a hereditary problem, he said.

“You have a 50 percent chance of having the alcoholism gene passed down to from a parent and 50 percent more for every other child,” Pinsky said.  “Addicts also have an uncanny ability to pick out another alcoholic.”

Pinsky’s lecture came full-circle when he said many problems with drugs and alcohol stem from “hook-up” cluture.

However, he said Marquette is one of the best universities for healthy dating and relationships despite being named Playboy’s top Catholic party school last year.

“Marquette, believe it or not, is one of the best schools I have seen in terms of dating,” said Pinsky.  “Especially in the upperclassmen.  It’s good because it increases conversation which is not there when you’re only looking for a hook-up.”