MU women’s basketball team handles Big Ten foe Michigan

The Marquette women’s basketball team showed it can play with big conference teams in an impressive 63-49 win over Michigan.

Senior guard Angel Robinson recorded a double-double with a game-high 15 points and a career-high 11 assists.

“This was a game we wanted,” Robinson said. “Everybody on the team wanted it, and sometimes you have to really step up and produce. I feel like I always want to do that for the team.”

Senior forward Jasmine Collins and senior guard Tatiyiana McMorris each scored 10 points. Collins also picked up nine rebounds and a pair of blocks against the Wolverines.

The Golden Eagles overcame a bit of a sloppy start, as they missed their first six shots of the game and allowed Michigan to open with an 8-0 run.

Marquette responded with an 18-6 run before again falling behind the Wolverines 22-21 going into halftime.

A three-pointer by McMorris at the start of the second half regained the lead for the Golden Eagles and set the tone for the rest of the game.

Marquette went on a 13-0 run and started to pull away from Michigan as their perimeter shooting, led by senior guard Courtney Weibel’s three three-pointers, decimated the Wolverine’s defense.

McMorris scored eight of her points during the run to change the pace of the game and spark an offensive turnaround. The Golden Eagles went on to outscore Michigan 42-27 in the second half.

“We just had to keep our composure, slow down and execute plays,” McMorris said.  “We never stopped believing we could beat Michigan when we went into halftime down by one point.”

Coach Terri Mitchell was happy with the team’s play offensively.

“I thought we looked for more opportunities to get our posts some touches, and when they collapsed on the post, we kicked it out,” Mitchell said. “We hit some outside shots and spread them out, which really gave us an opportunity to pull away.”

Mitchell was pleased with her team’s performance against a very good Michigan team and believes the win helped Marquette discover a little more about its identity.

“This was obviously our toughest competition so far,” Mitchell said. “I think I learned a lot about the character of this team based on how we stayed the course and stayed calm.”