Former President Bush comes to Milwaukee, speaks on faith, addiction

When former President George W. Bush spoke about redemption last night, he wasn’t talking about improving his low approval ratings when he left office. He did, however, talk about his personal battle with alcohol addiction, and the role his faith played in his recovery.

Bush was the keynote speaker at the 27th annual Teen Challenge Wisconsin Banquet, held at Milwaukee’s Frontier Airlines Center. Teen Challenge is an international faith-based organization that helps teens and adults overcome addiction through residential and non-residential programs.

Bush, whose book “Decision Points” was released Tuesday, spoke about overcoming his drinking problems 24 years ago, a topic he also addresses in the book.

“For a while I had tried to rationalize my drinking habits,” Bush said, quoting from his book. “Could I continue to grow closer to the Almighty, or was alcohol becoming my god? I hope by me telling this story in a presidential memoir, somebody will read it and say, ‘I can quit too.’”

Teen Challenge Wisconsin, founded in 1972, is one of 1,029 Teen Challenge centers in 90 countries. It has two long-term residential recovery facilities for adults in Milwaukee.

Bush, who first got to know Teen Challenge during his 2000 presidential campaign, praised the group’s focus on faith.

“It’s an organization that sets goals for people, and works to help people accomplish those goals, and recognizes that there is a power much bigger than any one of us,” he said.

Bush said his own faith helped him through what most see as a trying presidency.

“America is great because you can worship or not worship as you see fit,” he said. “Having said that, from a personal perspective, I don’t see how you can be president without faith. What probably looked like a miserable experience to you was a joyous experience to (Laura and me). We are thankful to the millions of strangers who lifted us up in prayer.”

Faith and the support of others were strong themes throughout the night. A gospel choir comprised of Teen Challenge members and alumni performed several times, and graduates of the organization told their stories.

David Omih, a Nigerian man who came to the U.S. on a track scholarship and became addicted to heroin in college, went through the Teen Challenge program and later started a Teen Challenge center in Nigeria.

“Teen Challenge exists because people care,” said Larry Liebe, lead pastor of the Wisconsin Assemblies of God and president of Teen Challenge Wisconsin. Liebe said without the donations it receives, Teen Challenge would not be able to operate as it does.

The event also featured a silent auction to raise money for the organization, which hoped to raise $117,170 to cover repairs, construction costs and the purchase of three vans and furniture for residential facilities.

George Bowman, a member of the Teen Challenge Wisconsin Board of Advisors, said regardless of any politics, the most important message to take away from the event was one of mutual support.

“Teen Challenge has done great things for people who are facing the challenges of addiction,” Bowman said. “We’re all in it together.”