HtM: Acapella in Autumn

Leaves are blowing off trees, days are getting shorter and, let’s face it, it’s getting chilly out there! Although here at Marquee we like to encourage you to get off campus and explore the entertainment our great city has to offer, we understand not wanting to wait to catch a bus on this wind tunnel of a campus.

So, if you’re looking to stay warm and close to home this weekend, we’ve got the perfect event for you: Acapella in Autumn.

Acapella in Autumn is a concert featuring performances by Marquette’s own a cappella groups The Naturals and the Gold ’N Blues. While both groups sing a cappella, a style of music where musicians harmonize without backup instrumentation, they’re significantly different in composition.

The Naturals is a 10-piece, all-male a cappella group that has been around since 2003. It is led by Andrew Mountin, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, who arranges the music, and the group performs a variety of songs ranging from classic oldies to contemporary pieces.

The Gold ’N Blues is a larger, co-ed group on campus founded in 2008. They focus more on singing contemporary numbers, and try to imitate instrumentation with their compositions, instead of the barbershop harmony utilized by The Naturals and other classical a cappella groups.

The two groups are frequently prone to team-ups, and their latest will be at the Varsity Theatre Saturday, Nov. 13, at 3:30 p.m. The concert is free, and refreshments will be provided afterward.

As if you needed any more incentive.