Puzzlepalooza to support Autism Speaks

Sun shining through door. Soft horse hair. “Jack, tell your horse to walk on.” Coarse rope in hands. Girl with brown hair. “Hey Jack, can you tell Sabu to go?” Buzzing fly near ear. “Come on Jack, you can do it!” Shoe rubbing my heel. Is someone talking to me?

You were able to read and understand each of those sensory experiences separately. Now imagine being attuned to all of these experiences at the same time and being unable to focus on anything else. Take it one step further and imagine this is how you experience every moment, every day.

This is sensory overload, and it is a basic characteristic of Autism, a life-altering disorder that affects millions of American children.

I began working with Jack during his therapeutic riding lessons when he was 6.

For our first lesson, I helped Jack memorize the first 10 letters of the alphabet. I was extremely frustrated as I untacked Jack’s horse because he barely memorized the first five letters.

I just could not get through to Jack. I knew Jack had some type of cognitive disability, but how could a 6-year-old not know the alphabet?

As we closed the barn, I asked another volunteer about Jack and what kind of disability he had. I expected an explanation of an extremely debilitating disease, but she nonchalantly responded, “Oh Jack? He just has Autism. Actually, it’s pretty mild too.”

I was baffled — his Autism was mild?

It took months of lessons to help Jack learn the alphabet, but I finally experienced that breakthrough moment when I knew he was listening and understanding everything I said.

Once I adapted to Jack’s way of learning, we were unstoppable, and over the next five years we conquered greater feats like basic arithmetic and even forming sentences.

Apart from sensory overload, effects of Autism include heightened sensitivities and increased social inhibitions. People with this neurological disorder often have elevated levels of brain function but cannot communicate effectively.

According to the Autism Society of America, Autism affects 1 in 110 births and is four times more prevalent in boys than girls. It affects an individual for life and has neither a cause nor a cure, though activities like therapeutic horseback riding and art therapy help normalize the brain.

I am lucky to have worked with Jack. Though I hope to see the day when Autism is cured, I am immensely grateful for everything Jack taught me. Though the smile of any child is uplifting, I still believe that since Jack could not convey his happiness to me with words, his toothless grin was somehow more meaningful and heartfelt.

As a member of the Alpha Xi Delta sorority at Marquette, I am elated that our philanthropy is Autism Speaks, an organization dedicated to raising funds and awareness for Autism, with the hopes of one day eliminating the disorder altogether.

Tomorrow is our annual Puzzlepalooza tournament, a night of mind-bending, brain-teasing fun dedicated to raising money for Autism Speaks. The event will be from 7 to 9 p.m. at the 2040 Lofts, with registration beforehand, and, plenty of food of course. Teams are composed of three people, and registration is $5 per person.

I am not a huge pro at puzzles, but I promise it will be a really fun night.

Please support Alpha Xi Delta’s efforts against Autism and attend this event. Jack and all other children with Autism hold such a special place in the hearts of all who know and love them.

Help us be the difference in the lives of these children.

Rebekah Newman is a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences