MU women win big in exhibition game

Like its men’s counterpart did earlier in the day, the Marquette women’s basketball team took care of business in its exhibition game, 76-43 over Wisconsin-Parkside.

Coach Terri Mitchell said the exhibition game was all about trying to find combinations that work so that when the regular season begins on Nov. 13, the team will be running on all cylinders.

The Golden Eagles had four players score in double digits, including three forwards. Sophomore forward Sarina Simmons led the way with 15 points.

Mitchell said it will go a long way if the team can constantly have multiple scoring threats, making teams prepare extra for defending the different weapons Marquette could throw at them.

The star of the evening was senior forward Jasmine Collins — with 10 points and a team-best six rebounds — according to Mitchell.

Collins credited senior forward Paige Fiedorowicz with facilitating her strong play.

“Paige (Fiedorowicz) got a lot early,” Collins said. “She showed me the way so I could do the same.”

For what was supposed to be a guard-oriented team, the Golden Eagles’ backcourt struggled against the Division II foe. UW-Parkside shot 5-of-11 (45.5 percent) from beyond the arc, while Marquette shot 4-of-17 (23.5 percent).

“We just kept getting beat by their flex screen,” Mitchell said about her team’s perimeter defense. “And when we were on them, we were defending with our hands down rather than up and in their face.”

The difficulties the team had defending Parkside’s screens is something Fiedorowicz said the team needs to work on. She pointed to poor communication between defenders.

Marquette looked rusty out of the gate after winning the opening tip.

In its first possession, a pass from pre-season All-Big East selection Angel Robinson — who finished with 11 points and seven assists — went into the press row on the sideline rather than to her teammate. The defense followed the turnover by allowing an easy layup to go down 2-0.

But Marquette took over from there. The team went on an 11-0 run, including a mini 5-0 run by Fiedorowicz, to go up 11-4 with 15:31 left in the half.

Marquette went on similar runs throughout the game but consistently let Parkside respond with a run of its own. While the game was decided by 33 points, the margin could have been larger.

Fiedorowicz said the team may have gotten complacent with its large lead at different points throughout the game.

“We need to work on not letting our leads slip,” Fiedorowicz said. “We can’t let our opponents come back.”