Sports Sideshow

It’s time to take a break from crotch shots here at the Sideshow and mourn the loss of one of the great sports personalities of last summer.

Paul the Octopus — that Nostradamus mollusk who became famous during the 2010 World Cup for his uncanny accuracy in forecasting Germany’s results — is headed for the big fish tank in the sky.

But let us not dwell on the tragedy of Paul’s death. Rather, let us remember the good times in this fleeting moment of grief — like his perfect record in picking World Cup games, including three group stage matches that could have ended in draws.

His success in the group stage only got the cold-blooded oracle warmed up. His rocket-like ascent to the top of the prognosticators’ food chain didn’t begin in earnest until the knockout stage began.

After successfully calling Germany’s victory over England in the round of 16, Paul became the center of international attention. And unlike a certain basketball player in South Beach I might mention, this suction-cupped soccer soothsayer rose to the challenge, riding the German wave all the way to the semifinal match against Spain.

Dutchmen and Spaniards worldwide held their breaths as Paul picked Spain to win the World Cup Final. Verily, the pick came to pass. And to prove none of it was a fluke, he even correctly chose Germany to win the third-place match, also known as the World Cup game no one cares about.

Subsequent generations of predictors, both human and not, will hope to emulate the success of this cephalopod, but it’s unlikely any ever will.

Like the deaths of Michael Jackson and Pablo Picasso before him, the loss is making people realize that there will only ever be one Paul the Octopus.