Tennis Briefs

Women’s Tennis
The doubles team of senior Christina Ruiz and junior Olga Fischer won the doubles championship at the ITA 2nd Chance Tournament hosted by Western Michigan this past weekend.

Ruiz and Fischer won three matches on the way to the championship match, in which they defeated a pair from Chicago State 8-4.

In singles play, Marquette controlled the consolation bracket of the Gold Draw by sending sophomore Kelly Barry and junior Gillian Hush to the final. Barry defeated Hush 6-4, 6-4. Barry finished the weekend 4-1 and Hush finished 3-2 in singles play.

Fischer, playing in the Black Draw, was the only player to win her first match and give herself a chance to compete for the championship. The dream ended early for Fischer though, as she lost to Illinois-Chicago’s Teona Tsertsvadze 6-2, 7-5 in the second round.

Men’s Tennis

Senior Jose Manuel Munoz led the way for the men’s tennis team this weekend with four victories at the 2010 Intercollegiate Tennis Association Midwest Regional, hosted by Notre Dame.

Munoz won three matches in the Qualifying Draw, which propelled him into the Main Draw, where he won his first match but fell in the second round to Notre Dame’s Daniel Stahl 6-1, 6-0. Munoz finished the weekend 4-1 and was the only singles player to win more than one match.

Only one doubles team won a match this weekend for Marquette — Munoz and freshman Logon Collins defeated a pair from Notre Dame but proceeded to lose in the second match to a pair from Michigan 8-5. The other two doubles teams — junior Jonathan Schwerin and freshman Dan Mamalat, and sophomore Octavio Perim and freshman Thibault Troude — fell in the first round.