Volleyball brief

The Marquette women’s volleyball team ran its winning streak to six games after sweeping Syracuse in straight sets (25-15, 25-22, 25-16) on Saturday afternoon.

Junior outside hitter Ciara Jones led the way with 16 kills, while fellow junior outside hitter Ashley Beyer finished the contest with 12 kills and seven digs. Senior setter Nikki Klingsporn also contributed in a big way, finishing with 46 assists in the match.

Syracuse (20-3, 3-3 Big East) took an early 2-1 lead in the first set before Marquette (13-7, 4-2 Big East) scored 22 of the next 32 points to take a 24-11 lead, its largest of the set.

Jones dominated the second set, tallying eight of her 16 kills in the frame, as Marquette held on to win by three points, 25-22.

Marquette hit .471 as a team, with 49 kills on 85 total attacks, and never hit under .450 in any of the three sets. It was the best hitting percentage Marquette has posted in coach Bond Shymansky’s two-year tenure.

Senior middle hitter Rabbecka Gonyo and sophomore right side hitter Danielle Carlson also contributed to the win, racking up seven kills apiece while combining for just one error.

The contest was the second of four straight road games for the Golden Eagles, who will return to action Saturday to face the DePaul Blue Demons before finishing the road trip against Notre Dame the following day.