Untouchable: You just can’t stop them

Sunday afternoon’s 4-3 overtime victory over Louisville was the type of season-defining game that championship teams somehow find ways to win.

After a disastrous first 12 minutes in which the Cardinals’ Emily Cardell scored two of her three goals in the game, the Marquette Golden Eagles (12-3-2 overall, 9-0-0 Big East) woke up in the second half and overtime to extend their program-record 9-0 Big East record.

Senior defender Kerry McBride couldn’t have picked a better time for her first goal of the season, scoring the game winner off a corner kick from senior defender Stephanie Vasos.

“It was a perfect pass from Steph, and it was one of the weirdest touches I’ve had on a ball, but luckily it went in,” McBride said.

Louisville (9-7-0 overall, 3-6-0 Big East) came out of the gate hot and led 2-0 before the Golden Eagles even had a chance to reflect on their dominating 4-0 victory over Cincinnati on Friday night.

“Those first 12 or so minutes were some of the worst soccer we’ve played in a long time,” said coach Markus Roeders. “Fortunately, we were able to rebound nicely and got a very hard-earned victory.”

Marquette got on the board in the 57th minute when junior forward Rachael Sloan scored her fifth goal of the season.

The next three minutes were complete chaos, as the Golden Eagles first tied the game on midfielder Rosie Malone-Povolny’s second goal of the season.

Cardell followed with her third goal of the game just a minute later on a defensive breakdown by junior goalkeeper Natalie Kulla, who struggled for the first time this season.

“It’s definitely a bit of a concern to give up three goals on just five shots,” Malone-Povolny said. “But the good thing is that we know how to come back, and we’ll tighten some things up.”

Friday night’s 4-0 victory over Cincinnati clinched a first round bye in the Big East Tournament and featured goals scored by some unlikely sources.

Junior forward Lindsey Page scored her first goal of the season, while sophomore midfielder Ally Miller and freshman midfielder Kate Reigle each scored their second goals of the season.

Freshman forward Maegan Kelly continued her torrid form by adding her sixth goal of the campaign in the easy win over the Bearcats.

The key for Marquette this season seems to be its ability to score two or more goals in a game. When the Golden Eagles have done that, they are 10-0. When they don’t, they’re 2-3-2.

The come-from-behind victory over the Cardinals is the third overall for the season, and the second for the Golden Eagles when trailing at halftime.

“For some reason, when we’re losing, it wakes us up and we play better,” McBride said. “It’s never good to have to play from behind, but luckily we’ve found ways to win, and we’re rolling right now.”

The Golden Eagles finish their regular season with home games against Syracuse on Friday and St. John’s on Sunday.