OVBIAGELE: Generation Y’s lack of commitment points toward depression

Meet us: Generation Y (Millennials). We are bold, aspiring, inventive, technologically savvy, uncannily selfish, non-committal and bound for depression.

As a Generation Y’er myself, it was difficult to arrive at this unfortunate conclusion. But after much pondering, even my inherent generational narcissism gave way. The truth wasn’t double-edged.

According to a recent study published in Clinical Psychology Review by Jean Twenge, a psychology professor at San Diego State University, Gen-Y is now likely to have more mental problems.

Millennials are increasingly plagued by depression and bipolar disorders at a higher rate compared to the baby boomers — the flip side of our narcissism?

So what is the cause? Why has our love for self, which was once thought to be the most offensive weapon for happiness, become the very catalyst for unhappiness?

Be it careers, marriage, faith, love, friendships, etc., we just don’t commit. Social obligations are now seen as convenient ties that can be broken at ease.

In terms of career, I really don’t see our lack of commitment as necessarily an ill, considering the current economic climate requires versatility, which we maybe have a little too much of — so much so, it spirals into other social spheres.

The marriage age is the highest it’s been. In the time of the baby boomers, one was pretty much guaranteed a job after college, but now times are different. The stakes that allow the comfort of marriage have been raised higher.

But the sad reality remains that even after securing all the right conditions, the divorce rates continue to rise for Millenials. In 2008, the divorce rate neared 50 percent.

And prior to nuptials, we engage in the most meaningless flings that are meant to be semblances of a serious relationship/love.

We even go as far as redefining the term “love” on our terms, with two criteria that must be met. “Love” must not be demanding and not too committal. Jersey Shore, anyone?

That’s where you find the boyfriends and girlfriends who break up with their partners either for no just cause or with 15 reasoned sentences that end with “me” or “I.”

And as far as religion goes? Forget it. Most times we are too sophisticated for it or hesitantly subject to one in name only, and that’s just because we were raised Christian/Jewish/Muslim, and it would break mom’s heart to see us verbally deny God.

In fact, religion has become a no-go area — it shouldn’t be talked about, just like racial relations.

And to further show our dogged non-committal nature, we pick and choose among different beliefs. Religion almost becomes a buffet of some sort.

Now, I do realize there are certain parts of certain faiths that have become a little stale due to human-operated institutions and not necessarily by the faith itself.

For example, I am a practicing Christian. However, inasmuch as I do attend church services, I do not view the institution of the Church as the basis of my faith, but rather as a symbol of it.

This is because I know the Church is the human-operated part of the religion and so is subject to human flaws and mistakes. The Catholic Church comes to mind.

But I keep the faith part intact. It’s a commitment and although I am not the perfect Christian (if there is one), I would rather be a work in progress than for convenience sake either make up my own spiritual playlist or do without faith.

Some say we are just more daring and more adventurous, citing the aforementioned trade-offs as necessary and affordable.

But then I wonder: Is a characteristic that affects our social institutions, faith, relationships, family — and is bound to leave us unhappy in the long term — worth having?

For me, I don’t think so. In order to change the ill path we are on, we must be willing to give more of ourselves to others, a course, our families, etc.

Food for thought: We all want happiness, but the remedy isn’t in narcissism, it is in selfless sacrifice.

• A

AnonOct 14, 2010 at 6:53 pm

WOW! Touch-ey!